What's new

Asus RT-AC86U - Help! Not getting my full internet speed, router issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marc159357

New Around Here
Hi all,

Firstly, I did some searching already with no luck.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on my issue as I don't seem to be able to get my full internet speed with my new internet provider.

I am running an Asus RT-AC86U on the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_41634)

I am presently switching internet service from Company X to Company Y:

Company X rated at 500 down 20 up (WAN port to cable modem)
Company Y rated at 500 down 500 up (WAN port to ethernet jack in wall - I live in a condominium)

I have conducted speed tests on both wired and wireless connections both connected to my RT-AC86U's 5GHz wireless network (I used the same cables for both tests)

Company X (Old):
-I get the advertised speeds through wifi and wired directly to router
-I also get the advertised speeds if I directly connect it to the modem

Company Y (New):
-I do not get the advertised speeds, in fact it's around 350-400 down and 120 up (for both wifi and wired directly to router)
-I get the advertised speeds (500 down 500 up) if I connect my computer directly to the ethernet jack in the wall

By deduction, I assume it's the RT-AC86U - I have restored it to factory settings and reconfigured it but that did not change anything. QoS is also disabled.

I am now unsure what the issue is as if it is the RT-AC86U, I would expect reduced speeds as well for Company X (but that isn't the case - I still have both services currently running and reverted back to Company X to do a speed test and it works fine on both wired and wireless, it's just reduced speed when I'm using Company Y with the router but I get the advertised speeds on Company Y when it's a wired connection to the wall).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Firstly, I did some searching already with no luck.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on my issue as I don't seem to be able to get my full internet speed with my new internet provider.

I am running an Asus RT-AC86U on the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.386_41634)

I am presently switching internet service from Company X to Company Y:

Company X rated at 500 down 20 up (WAN port to cable modem)
Company Y rated at 500 down 500 up (WAN port to ethernet jack in wall - I live in a condominium)

I have conducted speed tests on both wired and wireless connections both connected to my RT-AC86U's 5GHz wireless network (I used the same cables for both tests)

Company X (Old):
-I get the advertised speeds through wifi and wired directly to router
-I also get the advertised speeds if I directly connect it to the modem

Company Y (New):
-I do not get the advertised speeds, in fact it's around 350-400 down and 120 up (for both wifi and wired directly to router)
-I get the advertised speeds (500 down 500 up) if I connect my computer directly to the ethernet jack in the wall

By deduction, I assume it's the RT-AC86U - I have restored it to factory settings and reconfigured it but that did not change anything. QoS is also disabled.

I am now unsure what the issue is as if it is the RT-AC86U, I would expect reduced speeds as well for Company X (but that isn't the case - I still have both services currently running and reverted back to Company X to do a speed test and it works fine on both wired and wireless, it's just reduced speed when I'm using Company Y with the router but I get the advertised speeds on Company Y when it's a wired connection to the wall).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Try putting a spare Gigabit Ethernet switch between the AC86U WAN and the wall jack. Maybe the wiring of the wall jack or its source matters to your WAN cable or the AC86U WAN port. A switch might normalize this.

Is the wall jack assigning a routable WAN IP to the AC86U WAN?

Are you rebooting the AC86U on the new service?

What is the new service? Fiber to the building and Ethernet to the condo?

OE

Last edited:
Try putting a spare Gigabit Ethernet switch between the AC86U WAN and the wall jack. Maybe the wiring of the wall jack or its source matters to your WAN cable or the AC86U WAN port. A switch might normalize this.

Is the wall jack assigning a routable WAN IP to the AC86U WAN?

Are you rebooting the AC86U on the new service?

OE

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately I don't have an ethernet switch available to test this at the moment.

I tried a different ethernet cable to the wall jack with the same results.

Yes, I am rebooting the router with the new service.

I presently still have both internet services running and can switch back and forth and can produce the above-mentioned speed test results consistently.

I thought it may be the WAN port on the RT-AC86U so I set it to dual WAN and tested it with a different ethernet port on the router with the same results.

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately I don't have an ethernet switch available to test this at the moment.

A spare router? Disable the DHCP server and use its LAN switch.

OE

A spare router? Disable the DHCP server and use its LAN switch.

OE

I don't have a spare router either, however I will see if I can get my hands on one and report back!

I thought perhaps it may be a settings issue on the router that I overlooked.

Is the new ISP's modem bridged? Is it an ONT?

Turn off everything, including the device(s) you're using for testing with, for at least 20 minutes (modem/ONT, router, and all other network infrastructure), and then power everything back up when only connected to the new service.

Maybe using a cloned MAC address may help here too.

Its like the router hates the wall jack. What are the IP addresses you get... router to wall vs computer to wall. Maybe your double NATed when using the new ISP and router.. though its not supposed to affect speed like that. What a depressing problem.

Is the new ISP's modem bridged? Is it an ONT?

Turn off everything, including the device(s) you're using for testing with, for at least 20 minutes (modem/ONT, router, and all other network infrastructure), and then power everything back up when only connected to the new service.

Maybe using a cloned MAC address may help here too.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a modem with the new service - I basically plug the ethernet cable into the jack in the wall and I assume it goes to some telecommunications room in my building and gives internet service. (I'm not very tech savvy so that's the best way I can describe it)

I have tried your suggestion in physically unplugging anything network related for 20 minutes and my test device but the same thing happens.

If I connect to my router via wifi or via ethernet cable, I am unable to get the full speed with Company Y.

However, if I connect my laptop or Apple TV 4K directly to the wall and do a speed test, I can achieve the full speeds with Company Y.

I decided to hook my internet back up with Company X and I am once again able to get full speeds whether it be directly connected to the cable modem or via the router (wired or wireless)

Its like the router hates the wall jack. What are the IP addresses you get... router to wall vs computer to wall. Maybe your double NATed when using the new ISP and router.. though its not supposed to affect speed like that. What a depressing problem.

Yes, it seems like that's the case!

For when I plug router to wall I get a public IP address, and when I have computer to wall I get a different public IP address.

And you tried cloning the Mac address of the laptop, correct?

Yes, it seems like that's the case!

For when I plug router to wall I get a public IP address, and when I have computer to wall I get a different public IP address.

Evil wall jack...only likes PCs?

So its not some private IP address when you plug the router in.. just a different or similar public IP?
Default route/gw given the same ?
If you do a traceroute to the default route/gateway given .. it looks the same PC vs Router?

I would desperately try another short CAT 6a ethernet cable to the wall. A switch is what others suggested.
I had an issue where my R7000 was fine connected to my cable modem but the R7800 router did not like the same cable and connected slower..a strange issue.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a modem with the new service - I basically plug the ethernet cable into the jack in the wall and I assume it goes to some telecommunications room in my building and gives internet service. (I'm not very tech savvy so that's the best way I can describe it)
(…)
I decided to hook my internet back up with Company X and I am once again able to get full speeds whether it be directly connected to the cable modem or via the router (wired or wireless)
Whoa! That changes the game…
Basics:
Ethernet cable looks like an old time telephone wire:
external.jpg
Cable modem cable looks like cable TV wire:
external2.jpg
Are you changing your Cable ISP provider? Are you changing to a different type of service? For example to fiber from cable?
If you are plugging your computer directly into an ethernet jack in the wall, then there is something somewhere that is providing address & routing services to that device. Normally in the USA our upload s-u-c-k-s! Unless you are paying for fiber. If you have moved from 500/20 to 500/500 I am guessing you changed from cable to fiber. That changes everything.

How about clarifying that question for us first.