What's new

Asus RT-AC86U Media Server, disk size

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Voranc

New Around Here
Hello, it's me...

I'm buying a new HDD 3,5" external storage device, USB 3.0, 4TB capacity and AC adapter. I want to know if the 4TB size is supported? I did find a page from Asus but there is no AC86U on the list, but I guess it's in the range of 87U ( http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/ ).

Is there anything important i need to know about media server? I'm a bit of a newbie at this stuff, so all the information would be helpful. I did search the forums a bit, found only the spindown solution. I'm using the latest Merlin wrt.

Best regards,

Voranc.

Hello, it's me...

I'm buying a new HDD 3,5" external storage device, USB 3.0, 4TB capacity and AC adapter. I want to know if the 4TB size is supported? I did find a page from Asus but there is no AC86U on the list, but I guess it's in the range of 87U ( http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/ ).

Is there anything important i need to know about media server? I'm a bit of a newbie at this stuff, so all the information would be helpful. I did search the forums a bit, found only the spindown solution. I'm using the latest Merlin wrt.

Best regards,

Voranc.
Your drive should work. I'm not sure if it will work as a usb3 device however. If you have trouble with the drive not mounting or otherwise cannot recognize then plug it into usb2 slot. Being it is a HDD you can use spin down to help save the drive. Media server works fine but remember this is a router not a NAS. If you intend to share the drive using samba there are tweaks for speed that you can do. I would also recomend enabling the "Force as master browser" setting in usb server settings. Oh and one more thing it is highly advisable that you not enable any access from WAN including aicloud. You can however access the router and the network using a vpn.

The storage device is meant primarly for LAN usage. Mostly it will be used for watching movies on my TVs. Basic stuff, nothing complicated. Thank you for your help, and yes I will stay away from everything that is WAN related. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!