What's new

Asus RT-AC86U problem wyze camera

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

helio58

Regular Contributor
Hi , See if I can get same help.
I have a RT-AC86U running merlin. working well with 386.10 no need to change if working.
My problem is when I try to add a wyze camera. It tries to connect and shows in the wifi logs connect for about 1 - 1:30 minutes after that it gets Disassoc.
I have an older router Asus 56 runing Padvan. Using that router it works very well.
Any ideas how can I fix this?
Thanks

Hi , See if I can get same help.
I have a RT-AC86U running merlin. working well with 386.10 no need to change if working.
My problem is when I try to add a wyze camera. It tries to connect and shows in the wifi logs connect for about 1 - 1:30 minutes after that it gets Disassoc.
I have an older router Asus 56 runing Padvan. Using that router it works very well.
Any ideas how can I fix this?
Thanks

If using DoT on the router WAN, disable that to add the Wyze cam.

If other 2.4 client issues, beware the AC86U radio failing.

OE

If using DoT on the router WAN, disable that to add the Wyze cam.

If other 2.4 client issues, beware the AC86U radio failing.

OE
Thanks will do The 2.4 radio is not the most reliabel. Do you have any suggestion new router? Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks will do The 2.4 radio is not the most reliabel. Do you have any suggestion new router? Thanks

Dual-band, WiFi6, Pro models will receive coming 3.0.0.6 firmware with vlans and Guest Network Pro functions... ASUS GT-AX6000 (ugly), AX86U Pro, AX88U Pro are suggested around here.

OE

Dual-band, WiFi6, Pro models will receive coming 3.0.0.6 firmware with vlans and Guest Network Pro functions... ASUS GT-AX6000 (ugly), AX86U Pro, AX88U Pro are suggested around here.

OE
Thanks. I havent DoT enable. After more testing i can connect but in the wrong way.
Old router in router mode connect to RT-AC86U lan port . Give the older router the same ssid and password as RT-AC86C I can setup the camera. Then power off the old router without turning of the camera it continues connect via RT-AC86U. But if a power off the camera the same problem it will not connet to the internet, just 1:35 minuter then it try to connect again. Can it be a setting i m missing ? Thanks

ASUS GT-AX6000 (ugly), AX86U Pro, AX88U Pro are suggested around here.
Hey! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As to being suggested, I agree; both are very much the exact same components and I can vouch for the GT being an excellent dual-band AX performer, despite its garish antennae. Except for that, I find it much more attractive of the two. If nothing else I feel the antenna layout of the GT is more (actually) useful. Plus, if so inclined, it's got RGB!

I have been running a couple of Wyze cameras on my Cisco 150ax APs for a couple of years now. I don't see issues. You might look at the Cisco 150ax APs as they are $102 each last time I bought one. I have 3.

As to the camera, I've got one and have had no problem with it. Perhaps once your network is established you should reconfigure the camera through its interface?

I was having issues with my Wyze cams disconnecting often. Sometimes they would be fine and other times all sorts of disconnections. Finally narrowed it down to a failing 2.4 GHz radio on my AC86U. They are working wonderfully on my shiny new AX88U Pro. I have the 2.4 GHz in "compatibility mode" which for me means:
Code:
Wireless mode = N only
Modulation Scheme = MCS 7
Airtime Fairness = Disable
Multi-User MIMO  = Disable
Explicit Beamforming = Disable
Universal Beamforming = Disable

I was having issues with my Wyze cams disconnecting often. Sometimes they would be fine and other times all sorts of disconnections. Finally narrowed it down to a failing 2.4 GHz radio on my AC86U. They are working wonderfully on my shiny new AX88U Pro. I have the 2.4 GHz in "compatibility mode" which for me means:
Code:
Wireless mode = N only
Modulation Scheme = MCS 7
Airtime Fairness = Disable
Multi-User MIMO  = Disable
Explicit Beamforming = Disable
Universal Beamforming = Disable
@doczenith1 Thanks. may look at ax88u pro. My main problem is not cameras disconnecting but they never connect to wyze cloud.Once a use my dirty workaround with the old router, after the camera connect it keeps connect all time. Problem is the initial connection to wyze. Thanks

Yeah, I find out the hard way wyze products work better on 2.4 N mode, and with 20hz bandwidth much stable
Thanks after more testing it seem not to be a router issue. I hacked the camera and it connects utan problem to the internet with RT-AC86U router.The problem is when it will connect to wyze servers. I think I have something blocking the access to it.Unfortunetlly I dont know how to proced to find the cause.

What specific Wyze Camera(s) are you using?
I think I have something blocking the access to it.
Are you using any add-on scripts, or using something like Pi-Hole or AdGuard or WAN DNS servers that filter requests to block ads to manage DNS?

Been running several Wyze V2 Cameras for a number of years, generally without issue on both a RT-AC68U, and now a RT-AX86U Pro. Generally use the stock 2.4Ghz Wireless settings on both routers. No VPN. I run the Wyze cams under YazFi on Guest Network #2's 2.4Ghz.

Edit to add: Some other suggestions to try if you haven't already, reset the Wyze cameras if you can as a troubleshooting test. If the cameras have microSD cards in them, try removing the cards and test. Try re-flashing the latest Wyze firmware to the camera if possible as a troubleshooting step. Avoid having WiFi SSID's and passwords that contain special characters or spaces/underscores.

Are you using any add-on scripts, or using something like Pi-Hole or AdGuard or WAN DNS servers that filter requests to block ads to manage DNS?

Been running several Wyze V2 Cameras for a number of years, generally without issue on both a RT-AC68U, and now a RT-AX86U Pro. Generally use the stock 2.4Ghz Wireless settings on both routers. No VPN. I run the Wyze cams under YazFi on Guest Network #2's 2.4Ghz.

Edit to add: Some other suggestions to try if you haven't already, reset the Wyze cameras if you can as a troubleshooting test. If the cameras have microSD cards in them, try removing the cards and test. Try re-flashing the latest Wyze firmware to the camera if possible as a troubleshooting step. Avoid having WiFi SSID's and passwords that contain special characters or spaces/underscores.
Thanks , yes I musing wireguard wmg . I have Pi-Hole installed on raspberry pi. Pi-hole manage the dns but I have assign no blocking to the wyze cam ip.

Thanks , yes I musing wireguard wmg . I have Pi-Hole installed on raspberry pi. Pi-hole manage the dns but I have assign no blocking to the wyze cam ip.

Yes you nail it. When I shutdown pi-hole it worked as a dream. Now its time tpo find a way to resolv the camera dns . And turn pi-hole back.
Any suggestions how to do that? Thanks

Yes you nail it. When I shutdown pi-hole it worked as a dream.
How is Pi-hole configured on the router? In the WAN fields or LAN DHCP DNS? What other Pi-Hole related settings have you made on the router? Pi-Hole themselves (see here) recommends using the LAN DHCP DNS field(s). See here for one example of configuring the router to use Pi-Hole, there may be other ways.

Not sure it's been asked. Is the Wyze cam connected to main LAN WiFi or to Guest Network WiFi? If Guest Network WiFi which one (1, 2 or 3)? And further if connected to Guest Network, does anything change if you enable Guest Network Access Intranet (if it's disabled)?

How is Pi-hole configured on the router? In the WAN fields or LAN DHCP DNS? What other Pi-Hole related settings have you made on the router? Pi-Hole themselves (see here) recommends using the LAN DHCP DNS field(s). See here for one example of configuring the router to use Pi-Hole, there may be other ways.

Not sure it's been asked. Is the Wyze cam connected to main LAN WiFi or to Guest Network WiFi? If Guest Network WiFi which one (1, 2 or 3)? And further if connected to Guest Network, does anything change if you enable Guest Network Access Intranet?
Thanks. Solved with dns director mac address to a user defined dns . Thanks

Thanks. Solved with dns director mac address to a user defined dns . Thanks
If you want to use DNS Director to force all traffic to the Pi-Hole, see the link in my prior post for an example of setting up Pi-Hole on the router, it includes example steps to setup DNS Director for Pi-Hole. Example follows:

LAN > DNS Director page (note I already have two Pi-Hole MAC addresses input):
386-9-dns-director-jpg.47183

If you want to use DNS Director to force all traffic to the Pi-Hole, see the link in my prior post for an example of setting up Pi-Hole on the router, it includes example steps to setup DNS Director for Pi-Hole. Example follows:

LAN > DNS Director page (note I already have two Pi-Hole MAC addresses input):
386-9-dns-director-jpg.47183
Thanks yes i m using it now works great thanks again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!