What's new

Asus RT-AC86U RAM issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mustafa803

Occasional Visitor
I updated a RT-AC1900P and a RT-AC86U to Merlin to 384.3 and I did a factory restore to both and I then applied the same exact setting to both routers.

I noticed that the amount of RAM used increased a lot compared to the older firmware. The AC1900P went to 127MB (50%)......The AC86U on the other hand went up to around 374MB (74%)....the difference in usage between both routers is close to 250MB which is a huge number..

I have Aiprotection on but the wifi is off and I am not even using VPN and with around 0% internet activity from all my devices, why is the RAM very high?

The problem looks worse on the AC86U...If I try to transfer just one file through USB3.0, the RAM goes all the way up to 93%, and then stays at 93% even after the file transfer is over...I have to reboot the router so the level can drop again to around 74%...

Also I noticed that under the tools tab, the total RAM for the AC1900 shows 250MB, which is very close to the advertised number of 256MB. The AC86U on the other hand shows a total RAM of 430MB, which is nowhere close to the advertised number of 512MB...I was expecting to see a number close to 500MB. Is there an error in how the RAM is being reported or is it really 430MB?

Attachments

• RAM86U_1.jpg
    RAM86U_1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 786
  • RAM86U_2.jpg
    RAM86U_2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 861
  • RAM86U_3.jpg
    RAM86U_3.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 701
  • RAM1900P_1.jpg
    RAM1900P_1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 809
  • RAM1900P_2.jpg
    RAM1900P_2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 887
I updated a RT-AC1900P and a RT-AC86U to Merlin to 384.3 and I did a factory restore to both and I then applied the same exact setting to both routers.

I noticed that the amount of RAM used increased a lot compared to the older firmware. The AC1900P went to 127MB (50%)......The AC86U on the other hand went up to around 374MB (74%)....the difference in usage between both routers is close to 250MB which is a huge number..

I have Aiprotection on but the wifi is off and I am not even using VPN and with around 0% internet activity from all my devices, why is the RAM very high?

The problem looks worse on the AC86U...If I try to transfer just one file through USB3.0, the RAM goes all the way up to 93%, and then stays at 93% even after the file transfer is over...I have to reboot the router so the level can drop again to around 74%...

Also I noticed that under the tools tab, the total RAM for the AC1900 shows 250MB, which is very close to the advertised number of 256MB. The AC86U on the other hand shows a total RAM of 430MB, which is nowhere close to the advertised number of 512MB...I was expecting to see a number close to 500MB. Is there an error in how the RAM is being reported or is it really 430MB?
Maybe have a look at this it should ease your brain:
Code:
https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

The short of it is that it’s normal behavior.

Some amount of the 86U’s ram is reserved for something system related. Broadcom? I forget what exactly, but it has been discussed somewhere here.

Simple answer: unused RAM is bad RAM (you paid for it and it's not used)! :eek:
Linux will tell you clearly when it has an issue with RAM shortage. ;)

So, nothing to worry - just be happy when RAM is used! :)

PS.: on my main router the RAM is always 100% used (due to disk cache) - good for me as I paid for it! :D

Simple answer: unused RAM is bad RAM (you paid for it and it's not used)! :eek:
Linux will tell you clearly when it has an issue with RAM shortage. ;)

So, nothing to worry - just be happy when RAM is used! :)

PS.: on my main router the RAM is always 100% used (due to disk cache) - good for me as I paid for it! :D
Yep same here mine hovers around 92% but I let Linux manage the memory...thus the flush cache regularely setting on Tools>Other Settings Tab (it's called memory management) set to no. Works real nice! :D

Yep same here mine hovers around 92% but I let Linux manage the memory...thus the flush cache regularely setting on Tools>Other Settings Tab (it's called memory management) set to no. Works real nice! :D
Unless I've missed it that menu item is not available anywhere on the RT AC86U

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!