What's new

Asus RT-AC86U running merlin. Guest network setup with local DNS (PiHole)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jbpcan

New Around Here
Is there a way to set up the guest network to use PiHole as its DNS when it is set to block Access to Intranet?

I tried the following:
LAN > DHCP Server > DNS Server 1 - Set PiHole IP
Result: Works for wireless AP and ports directly connected to Internet, but doesn't work on the Guest Wifi. I'm thinking because its set to block access to Intranet.

LAN > DNSFilter > Enable DNS-based Filtering
Global Filter mode - Custom 1
Custom (user-defined) DNS 1 - Set PiHole IP
Result: No internet access on entire network.

WAN > Internet Connection > DNS Server1 - Set PiHole IP
Result: Works on all AP including guest netowork. But on the pihole logs, I only see the router gateway as sending all DNS requests.

I don't mind using the WAN option. But I wanted to be able to see the devices properly on piHole. Any way to set it up that way? I also need Guest network to block access to Intranet.

Set router with:
LAN > DHCP Server > DNS Server 1 - 192.168.51.123 = Pihole IP
WAN > Internet Connection > WAN DNS SEtting > Connect to DNS Server automatically - YES

I set up YazFi with these options:
wl01_ENABLED=true
wl01_IPADDR=192.168.52.0
wl01_DHCPSTART=2
wl01_DHCPEND=254
wl01_DNS1=192.168.51.123
wl01_DNS2=192.168.52.1
wl01_FORCEDNS=true
wl01_REDIRECTALLTOVPN=false
wl01_VPNCLIENTNUMBER=2
wl01_LANACCESS=false
wl01_CLIENTISOLATION=true

I get an IP assigned from the 52.0 block when connecting to the guest network. However, no internet. Also the device doesn't show up in the network map list on the router.

Nice. Glad you got it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you provide more details on how you solved this? I am currently facing the same situation.

I have a RT-AC68 running Merlin and a Pi-Hole. Users on the Guest network have no access to the intranet (and currently no access to the internet as they can't reach the DNS server: pi-hole)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!