What's new

ASUS RT-AC86u setup for Giganet ONT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

greg_0ry

New Around Here
Hi all,
I am new to this forum so please move my thread if this is not the right place.

Yesterday, my new Giganet (FibreCity) broadband connection has been installed and it works flawlessly so far. Now I have one challenge I am hoping someone who was in the same situation could advice me on.
The wireless router they provided is a Technicolor DGA4134, however I would like to use my own ASUS RT-AC86u as I had two in a mesh running so that the house and garden were covered at all time.
It seems I do not need the Technicolor in bridge mode as I can take the signal directly from the ONT. The PPPOE setup seems to be straight forward but the VLAN ID tagging is a bit unusual (Needs to be setup in the IPTV section of the ASUS firmware). Also, I found an article for another ASUS router saying that you need to setup dual WAN what I actually don't really understand as I am not planing on a failover. So I guess my question is if someone has done this config successfully before with this Asus wireless router Model or a similar? The VLAN ID has to be 910 so I definitely need to set it but so far no luck with getting it to work.

Thank you

Hi all,
I am new to this forum so please move my thread if this is not the right place.

Yesterday, my new Giganet (FibreCity) broadband connection has been installed and it works flawlessly so far. Now I have one challenge I am hoping someone who was in the same situation could advice me on.
The wireless router they provided is a Technicolor DGA4134, however I would like to use my own ASUS RT-AC86u as I had two in a mesh running so that the house and garden were covered at all time.
It seems I do not need the Technicolor in bridge mode as I can take the signal directly from the ONT. The PPPOE setup seems to be straight forward but the VLAN ID tagging is a bit unusual (Needs to be setup in the IPTV section of the ASUS firmware). Also, I found an article for another ASUS router saying that you need to setup dual WAN what I actually don't really understand as I am not planing on a failover. So I guess my question is if someone has done this config successfully before with this Asus wireless router Model or a similar? The VLAN ID has to be 910 so I definitely need to set it but so far no luck with getting it to work.

Thank you

If no clues here, search for a community that discusses your specific ISP.

OE

I solved it, the trick was really to factory reset the entire ASUS router so here some screenshots from the settings I have chosen for someone who has now or in the future the same question.

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 12.37.53.png

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 12.38.36.png

I have the similar config with my T-com provider. VID 100 prio 0. Asus connected with CAT6 UTP cable directly on ONT. Everything works fine except internet traffic in network map page. It shows some strange data ( few kb/s ) not the real traffic. If I put providers router in bridge and set ISP profile as none, everything working fine. Interesting, on adaptive QoS tab I can see real internet traffic. Same on mobile app. Latest merlin, Asus RT AC86U.

I solved it, the trick was really to factory reset the entire ASUS router so here some screenshots from the settings I have chosen for someone who has now or in the future the same question.

View attachment 39607

View attachment 39608

I was going to point you in the direction of this Voadafone forum for help, https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Oth...-third-party-router-with-vodafone/m-p/2621214 but you now have it it working. I have posted the link anyway as it may help other people with different routers.

View attachment 39607

View attachment 39608
Does LAN 3 and 4 work normally? As in it's like LAN 1 and 2? Since my setup is also the same. I only need the VID for WAN, and I want all my LAN ports to be used for my internet stuff and not VOIP or IPTV . Thanks!

View attachment 39607

View attachment 39608
Just to add to this. I've recently moved to Giganet and have the GT AX-11000 router. Since November 2022 it has not been necessary (according to Giganet) to use the VLAN ID. I followed the instructions, posted by the previous user (for which many thanks, by the way) and everything worked without having to perform a factory reset or use the VLAN id. Other than that the previous post is spot on for current giganet installs.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!