What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Stays Off During Scheduled Reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yousif Kelaita

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have an AC-86U running Merlin 384.5, configured to have scheduled reboots a few times a week.

Once every few reboots, the router will not come back after shutting down. From the front, the router's lights are completely off, and I can only bring it back by turning the router off and on again. Easy fix, but annoying because I often wake up with no internet in the home.

Has anyone had this issue?

I think the current solution is not to have scheduled reboots. In theory they shouldn't be necessary anyway.

I rebooted my AC86U via the admin page after I installed 384.6 and it didn't power back up again. I only discovered this in the morning, as it was the last action I did before going to bed, when my phone wouldn't connect and none of my networks could be found. Power cycling the router brought it back on. I haven't tried a software reboot since.

Not seeing any issues like this with my 86u running stock firmware

My AC68U never did this via a software reboot, nor the few times I used scheduled reboot.

Had this often in the past that after manual reboot it stayed dark and offline, had to power down to work again.
Seems to be solved for me with more recent firmwares.

Happened to me twice doing a software reboot after firmware upgrade. I then returned the router to the store.

Just bought an AC-86U and dropped latest Merlin 384.6 on there. Enabled the GUI reboot and kept waking up to a shut off router that I'd have to hit to router power button each morning. Just SSHd into it and an /sbin/reboot indeed has the problem guaranteed every time. However, what is interesting is that a click of the GUI "Reboot" button (so far) always seems to work fine. Obviously Merlin's reboot feature on the Admin page is not using the button's method for reboot.

Someone earlier said "in theory [reboots] should not be necessary". Yeah, Microsoft tried to preach the same thing with Windows. The AC-86U is a new beast to Asus so I'd expect bugs/leaks that resolve after a harmless reboot anyway.

So does anyone know what alternative reboot method that the GUI might be doing if not simply /sbin/reboot?

Happened to me this morning. RT-AC86U scheduled reboot at 4 am, Merlin 384.7.2, woke up to no WAN, no lights, had to re-power. :(

I am impressed that this feature is even working, its never worked since a long time ago for me so I left it off. Guess I will enable it again and see if it happens, (or if it even works)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!