What's new

ASUS RT-AC87R Max Rate of 600

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mteicher

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I have only had this router for several days and doing some research I found this group which I have read with interest thus far.

Over the course of the few days with this router it has performed good. Looking at inSIDDer reports Max Rate of 600 in 5Ghz, 450 in 2.4Ghz.

Not many of the settings have been changed from default. Hide SSID=yes,
WPA2-Personal with AES, MAC filtering with 8 MAC addresses,

If any of you could have insight why the Max Rate in 5Ghz is not higher I would appreciate it.

On the router in System Log, Wireless Log:

RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 50 dB noise: -61 dBm Channel: 149/80
BSSID: Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]

Mode : AP Only

Thanks for any insight...

I wouldn't worry about it. I have also seen that in inSSIDer that the max speed of the 5GHz band to be 600Mbps. However, I have AC clients that exceed that figure so I pay it no attention.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have also seen that in inSSIDer that the max speed of the 5GHz band to be 600Mbps. However, I have AC clients that exceed that figure so I pay it no attention.

Hello,

That was my assumption as well but wanted to query others.
In 2.4Ghz it shows 450. Possibly same reporting issue.

Thanks...

Hello,

That was my assumption as well but wanted to query others.
In 2.4Ghz it shows 450. Possibly same reporting issue.

Thanks...
The 2.4GHz readout as 450Mbps max rate is correct. You need a turboquam (sp?) client to connect with the router at 600Mbps in the 2.4GHz band.

Sorry to mini-hijack the thread but my max rate for 5ghz in inSSIDer is 54, is there something wrong with my network settings?

Sorry to mini-hijack the thread but my max rate for 5ghz in inSSIDer is 54, is there something wrong with my network settings?

Which device is that? Perhaps your device supports b/g only..

The 2.4GHz readout as 450Mbps max rate is correct. You need a turboquam (sp?) client to connect with the router at 600Mbps in the 2.4GHz band.

Hello,

Am I to assume from your statement the 450Mbps in 2.4 Ghz as reported by inSIDDer is erroneous as it is with the 5Ghz reading of 600Mbps max rate?

What I am trying to understand is not what speed I can connect to but what inSIDDer reports as the max rate. I believe site survey tools will/should display the capability of the router and not the limitations of the wifi card in the system doing the survey?

Site survey applications suggestions would be appreciated.

Non related question: Is there a way to force the router to use just one channel and not spread the max rate over several? I can see other brand routers in 2.4Ghz 450Mbps using just 1 while this router at 40Ghz wants two. At 20Ghz it will use one but max rate drops to 216Mbps. Same question for the 5Ghz range as well. Control panel only allows for above or below in extension channel.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hello,

You might wish to look at the wifi card and see what network modes are available. I had an issue with not seeing the 5Ghz channel and by changing the mode solved this.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

Am I to assume from your statement the 450Mbps in 2.4 Ghz as reported by inSIDDer is erroneous as it is with the 5Ghz reading of 600Mbps max rate?

What I am trying to understand is not what speed I can connect to but what inSIDDer reports as the max rate. I believe site survey tools will/should display the capability of the router and not the limitations of the wifi card in the system doing the survey?

Site survey applications suggestions would be appreciated.

Non related question: Is there a way to force the router to use just one channel and not spread the max rate over several? I can see other brand routers in 2.4Ghz 450Mbps using just 1 while this router at 40Ghz wants two. At 20Ghz it will use one but max rate drops to 216Mbps. Same question for the 5Ghz range as well. Control panel only allows for above or below in extension channel.

Thanks!

You need to do some reading on wireless properties. You can force the router to on channel on the 2.4ghz but you won't get 400Mbps. Not possible, that's why you have the 40mhz setting.
Btw if there are others around you, with a lot of channels being used, it's downright unfriendly to use 40mhz.

Hello,

I have only had this router for several days and doing some research I found this group which I have read with interest thus far.

Over the course of the few days with this router it has performed good. Looking at inSIDDer reports Max Rate of 600 in 5Ghz, 450 in 2.4Ghz.

Not many of the settings have been changed from default. Hide SSID=yes,
WPA2-Personal with AES, MAC filtering with 8 MAC addresses,

If any of you could have insight why the Max Rate in 5Ghz is not higher I would appreciate it.

On the router in System Log, Wireless Log:

RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 50 dB noise: -61 dBm Channel: 149/80
BSSID: Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]

Mode : AP Only

Thanks for any insight...

I'm guessing maybe it has to do with the link rate of the device your checking it with? My AC68U setup as a media bridge keeps a solid 1300mbps link rate to the AC87R.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 255

InSSIDer uses the Windows Driver frameworks, so it reports what the driver does, not the actual framerates in use or advertised...

With some drivers, folks were seeing odd effects on TurboQAM with some router/nic combos a while back..

Which device is that? Perhaps your device supports b/g only..

Surface Pro 2. It supports wireless n and I can connect to a 5ghz network.

Hello,

You might wish to look at the wifi card and see what network modes are available. I had an issue with not seeing the 5Ghz channel and by changing the mode solved this.

Hope this helps.

How would I go about finding the different modes? Control Panel?

Thanks.

You need to do some reading on wireless properties. You can force the router to on channel on the 2.4ghz but you won't get 400Mbps. Not possible, that's why you have the 40mhz setting.
Btw if there are others around you, with a lot of channels being used, it's downright unfriendly to use 40mhz.

Hello,

Please see the inSIDDer graph.
The first 4 SSID's are mine. The last 3 I am trying to understand.
I am just trying to understand why under my settings with 40Ghz and 450 Mbps uses 2 channels while others with 450 Mbps uses 1 channel.

Thanks,

Michael...

Attachments

• asus-1channel.jpg
    asus-1channel.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 534

Thanks.

Hello,

Yes.. control panel, device manager, network adapters. Select your network adapter your using.. Select advanced tab. On mine its at the bottom of property, wireless mode. On the right should be a pull down with the available modes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Ensure you're using WPA2 with AES only (and not WPA+TKIP).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!