What's new

Asus RT-AC87U Adaptive QoS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mkz

New Around Here
Greetings all
I'm running AC87U Adaptive QoS Traditional type.
Upload bandwidth capping works fine but download cap is not working at all.

here is my settings
zVGCiwO.jpg

in my desperation I tried to cap everything to 10% thinking maybe there is some packets still at high but nothing is working
cnoNqSe.jpg

can someone help?

Your running traditional QoS, not Adaptive QoS.
Traiditional QoS does not do much for download (maybe nothing at all).

On the first screenshot you can see the radio button to toggle between tradtional and adaptive.

Your running traditional QoS, not Adaptive QoS.
Traiditional QoS does not do much for download (maybe nothing at all).

On the first screenshot you can see the radio button to toggle between tradtional and adaptive.

But then I can't specify the exact cap limit I want.
and also why does a download limit option exist in traditional if I can't use it??

http://tomatousb.org/tut:using-tomato-s-qos-system

I will give you an example of how to set upload and download speed limits.

Lets say a person with internet has internet speeds of 6 mbps download and 2.5-3 mbps upload.

Download speed = 6 mbps
Upload speed = 1 mbps

You never should set your upload speed limit on qos as your max possible internet speed.

You always want to limit your upload speed to anywhere from 60-85% of your total internet upload speed possible.

As for download speed, it doesn't really matter about setting it under the max amount your internet can handle. Why? Because your upload speed will determine your download speed. For example, if your upload speed is getting way over used by 3 or 4 gamers pvping all day and everyone else is streaming videos non-stop your upload speed will get drained. If you allow this to happen by not setting any upload speed limits in qos, your download speed will drop dramatically. To have download you must have upload first. So upload speed controls the download speed. REMEMBER THAT!

Also, the Asus qos system has never capped download speeds at all. So just leave all that to 100% or you can set them to 0% which means unlimited cap.

It wouldn't really matter if they did, there is no reason to cap download speeds as I was just explaining. The only thing important worth capping in qos is the upload speed. That does work right with their qos system.

All of those traffic categories above work only in terms of latency. So set all gaming consoles to the highest priority and just use all of the default bandwidth values they give. I don't feel like explaining that so just use the default values. None of the traffic priorities even matter if you don't have all of the devices on your network entered into your qos rules.

Keep all of the Highest priority packets set to the default values. I've found from experimentation that this works best with the Asus qos system.

Last edited:
http://tomatousb.org/tut:using-tomato-s-qos-system

I will give you an example of how to set upload and download speed limits.

Lets say a person with internet has internet speeds of 6 mbps download and 2.5-3 mbps upload.

Download speed = 6 mbps
Upload speed = 1 mbps

You never should set your upload speed limit on qos as your max possible internet speed.

You always want to limit your upload speed to anywhere from 60-85% of your total internet upload speed possible.

As for download speed, it doesn't really matter about setting it under the max amount your internet can handle. Why? Because your upload speed will determine your download speed. For example, if your upload speed is getting way over used by 3 or 4 gamers pvping all day and everyone else is streaming videos non-stop your upload speed will get drained. If you allow this to happen by not setting any upload speed limits in qos, your download speed will drop dramatically. To have download you must have upload first. So upload speed controls the download speed. REMEMBER THAT!

Also, the Asus qos system has never capped download speeds at all. So just leave all that to 100% or you can set them to 0% which means unlimited cap.

It wouldn't really matter if they did, there is no reason to cap download speeds as I was just explaining. The only thing important worth capping in qos is the upload speed. That does work right with their qos system.

All of those traffic categories above work only in terms of latency. So set all gaming consoles to the highest priority and just use all of the default bandwidth values they give. I don't feel like explaining that so just use the default values. None of the traffic priorities even matter if you don't have all of the devices on your network entered into your qos rules.

Keep all of the Highest priority packets set to the default values. I've found from experimentation that this works best with the Asus qos system.

first of all thanks for your response.
You are assuming that I'm running this at home router for gaming or streaming. but I'm actually using this at a small office in a small business environment, and at this environment I have some users who run a VPN and start downloading massive files with IDM or even P2P torrents download.
and that cripples my network. with this router I will know who it is, But I was looking for a way to limit their bandwidth while I can talk to a superior to do something about it.

Have you tried the advice given in the post:

"Your running traditional QoS, not Adaptive QoS.
Traditional QoS does not do much for download (maybe nothing at all).

On the first screenshot you can see the radio button to toggle between traditional and adaptive."

If you have 15 as your tested upload bandwidth, set it at 12 and report back and tell us what happens.

You will end up pulling your hair trying to track down your suspects. Don't waste your time.

If this is for a business, you need an enterprise class router to be at the front of your network and enable fine grained QOS.

The current Asus Adaptive QOS is not too bad.

Works fine for us as long as we reboot every day.

You are assuming that I'm running this at home router for gaming or streaming. but I'm actually using this at a small office in a small business environment, and at this environment I have some users who run a VPN and start downloading massive files with IDM or even P2P torrents download.
and that cripples my network. with this router I will know who it is, But I was looking for a way to limit their bandwidth while I can talk to a superior to do something about it.

Last edited:

This new information you have filled me in on changes nothing about what I said. When it comes to QOS, upload speed is still what you need to focus on. If you were to set your upload speed to your internet's max speed achievable and then limit your download speed under the max speed achievable you would not be gaining anything from it. Your download speed revolves around your upload speed, my friend.

Yes you can limit your download speed with better qos systems like the one Tomato has developed. I know for a fact you can limit download speed in Tomato by Shibby firmware because I have used it and tested everything out myself.

My main point is there is no point in doing so. As long as you keep a good limit on your upload speed like I had mentioned before, your download speeds will remain at their max speeds.

Also, p2p torrent downloads aren't killing your internet and making it slow because of your internet downloading the files. The problem is that when you use any p2p programs other people on the internet download the files that you have downloaded from you. This is called seeding. When seeding happens your upload is constantly being drained which would cause a massive reduction in you internet speed over time. The problem is not your download it is your upload being drained. That is an even more reason to set a good limit on your upload speed.

If you get 15 mbps upload speed as your max speed. I then I would set my overall upload speed limit to something like 10 mbps.

By the way, you always want to set all p2p related devices to the lowest traffic priority. Everything else you could just put them in the low or medium traffic priority. That would help a little bit with your business internet. The main problem with your internet is other people seeding off of your internet. That is what you need to fix.

Last edited:
This new information you have filled me in on changes nothing about what I said. When it comes to QOS, upload speed is still what you need to focus on. If you were to set your upload speed to your internet's max speed achievable and then limit your download speed under the max speed achievable you would not be gaining anything from it. Your download speed revolves around your upload speed, my friend.

Yes you can limit your download speed with better qos systems like the one Tomato has developed. I know for a fact you can limit download speed in Tomato by Shibby firmware because I have used it and tested everything out myself.

My main point is there is no point in doing so. As long as you keep a good limit on your upload speed like I had mentioned before, your download speeds will remain at their max speeds.

Also, p2p torrent downloads aren't killing your internet and making it slow because of your internet downloading the files. The problem is that when you use any p2p programs other people on the internet download the files that you have downloaded from you. This is called seeding. When seeding happens your upload is constantly being drained which would cause a massive reduction in you internet speed over time. The problem is not your download it is your upload being drained. That is an even more reason to set a good limit on your upload speed.

If you get 15 mbps upload speed as your max speed. I then I would set my overall upload speed limit to something like 10 mbps.

By the way, you always want to set all p2p related devices to the lowest traffic priority. Everything else you could just put them in the low or medium traffic priority. That would help a little bit with your business internet. The main problem with your internet is other people seeding off of your internet. That is what you need to fix.

Thanks alot for your replay.
after reading both replay's and the link attached I kinda understand the concept now.
I was able to achieve what I was looking for by reducing upload to 6Mbs then setting the upload speed in the "lowest" settings to 1%.
now every time I see someone using the internet heavily I dump him in the lowest :D.

Thanks again

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!