1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

ASUS RT AC87U as VPN Client not updating WAN IP?

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by ninjada, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ninjada

ninjada New Around Here

After updating to the latest firmware and setting things up as I normally do, I've noticed the WAN IP is not updating to my VPN IP in the ASUS admin? I've also installed amtm, with diversion, dns-crypt and skynet, but I don't think they've changed anything, but its how I've noticed as I was looking at the skynet logs show all the incoming blocks happening, are hitting my actual ISP IP address, not the VPN IP.

Am I mistaken and this is normal, or when my router's connected to my VPN service as a client, its supposed to take over as the router's WAN IP address and should only be responding via the VPN IP? ....this is what I've previously assumed as taking place and my reasoning for the setup, and nothings changed with my vpn/router config, other than latest firmware and installing some amtm tools as I mentioned. Previously the WAN IP would change at least in the asus control panel to that of my VPN...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

A VPN won't change your router's WAN IP. That's the IP on the WAN interface, which is independent from the VPN tunnel interface.