What's new

ASUS RT AC87U as VPN Client not updating WAN IP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ninjada

New Around Here
After updating to the latest firmware and setting things up as I normally do, I've noticed the WAN IP is not updating to my VPN IP in the ASUS admin? I've also installed amtm, with diversion, dns-crypt and skynet, but I don't think they've changed anything, but its how I've noticed as I was looking at the skynet logs show all the incoming blocks happening, are hitting my actual ISP IP address, not the VPN IP.

Am I mistaken and this is normal, or when my router's connected to my VPN service as a client, its supposed to take over as the router's WAN IP address and should only be responding via the VPN IP? ....this is what I've previously assumed as taking place and my reasoning for the setup, and nothings changed with my vpn/router config, other than latest firmware and installing some amtm tools as I mentioned. Previously the WAN IP would change at least in the asus control panel to that of my VPN...

Last edited:
A VPN won't change your router's WAN IP. That's the IP on the WAN interface, which is independent from the VPN tunnel interface.