What's new

Asus RT-AC87U bricked, please assist me any Guru!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fenix

Occasional Visitor
Please assist me any Guru to recover my router. Finaly after one month I received USB-UART cable. After all preparations I'm able via Putty connect by serial port to router.
If i press quickly ctrl-c able to enter cfe comman line or later if press enter to console command line. But how to recovery, what commands use for Asus router. I has read a lot of on openwrt and ddwrt forum but nothing assist me. My ethernet card settings I have put to
192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1. Please really need to recover, assist somebody. Unable to ping device from windows cmd. Before I'm trying firmware from openwrt and after come back to Asus-merlin firmware by using Asus restoration utility, proces was successfull,but after rebooting router bricked.Awaiting any info!!!

Make sure you do not use Port 1 on the router while trying to recover it, since that port is not supported by the Recovery mode. Use port 2,3 or 4.

Trying from cfe command line nvram erase and after nvram commit but after reboot and entering to cfe mode put ifconfig command and received interface not configured

Also trying ping from Putty usb serial cfe menu and received: 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 0 packets sent, 0 received

cfe command: show devices received
uart0 NS16550 UART at 0x18000300
uart1 NS16550 UART at 0x18000400
nflash0 AMD NAND flash size 131072KB
nflash0.boot AMD NAND flash offset 0 size 512KB
nflash0.nvram AMD NAND flash offset 80000 size 1536KB
nflash0.trx AMD NAND flash offset 200000 size 1KB
nflash0.os AMD NAND flash offset 20001C size 129024KB
nflash1.boot AMD NAND flash offset 0 size 512KB
nflash1.nvram AMD NAND flash offset 80000 size 1536KB
nflash1.trx AMD NAND flash offset 200000 size 129024KB

cfe available commands: nvram, reboot, flash, batch, go, boot, load, save, ping, arp, ifconfig, show, help

Trying :
CFE> ifconfig eth0 -addr=192.168.1.1
Could not activate network interface 'eth0': Error

Tried already but all time tftp server error, could be initial router ip changed, that why asking any command from cfe console to check present router ip!

If your switch isn't properly initialized then try erasing nvram. If it still fails, then your switch is probably defective.

Already tried nvram erase, what it mean switch is defective and how to resolve?

If it's defective, then it means you will have to either send it in for repair, or replace the router.

Is that true for other Asus routers? I never heard that before. Might explain why so many people have problems using recovery.

This is specific to the RT-AC87U. Port 1 is on a Realtek switch (which serves to connect the Broadcom and the Quantenna chips together), while ports 2 through 4 are on the Broadcom switch. The CFE is only able to initialize the Broadcom switch.

On the RT-AC88U, this is possibly true for ports 5 through 8, I never actually tested.

I suspect something wrong with boot loader, guys can you give me internet sites more specific for repairing routers. Is it possible to re-flash CFE from situation with my router like now. I cant entering to CFE web GUI, all time going cycle rebooting and only way to repairer usb serial console way. I had put also msg on openwrt forum,
ddwrt forum and linksys.org but may be somebody have more specific sites database.

Before even ifconfig doesnt show nothing but I found on forums msg to do

nvram set et0macaddr=xx
nvram set 0:macaddr=xx
nvram set 1:macaddr=xx
and now
CFE> ifconfig
Device eth0: hwaddr xx, ipaddr 192.168.1.1, mask 255.255.255.0
gateway not set, nameserver not set

Thank's I now about this but like Im understood this is able to do wnen router is up, but my router is going rebooting by cyrcle all time. That's why Im asking can flashing cfe over serial console command and what is commands?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!