What's new

Asus RT-AC87U fully bricked

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PabloCZ

New Around Here
Hi friends, I am a new user from Chile in South America.

Sorry if my English is poor.

I have the next problem, I buy a Asus RT-AC87U from eBay a few days ago, when arrive to my home, I try to configure entering to configutacion page in 192.168.1.1 with ethernet cable. The router don't give me access, enter to http://router.asus.com not work.

The next step, keep press the reset button in back for 10 seconds and power up, nothing.

Keep press WPS button for 10 or 5 seconds and power up to clear NVRAM, nothing.

A few hours ago, the router stop booting, or make it very slow, 3 or 4 hours to boot when power button is pressed, to the power led bright fully intensity.

I try to recover firmware, keep press reset button and power up, release when power led blink slow, set ethernet ip 192.168.1.2, DNS 255.255.255.0 and gateway 182.168.1.1 but the only one time the router start in recovery mode, recovery software say "no router in recovery mode find".

I try resoldered the MX25050 EEPROM and read with a SPI reader, but the U-boot is apparently okey, I can't find a uploaded U-boot to write in the chip and test if boot again.

I have a dowbloaded CFE but don't have a USB dongle to JTAG.

I try with serial console, start Putty in 8N1 connection and 115200 b/s, but the only text received are a few symbols, Ctrl+c when power up to start CFE mode don't work. When 3 or 4 hours as been completed and the router boot, the same symbols is showed in the screen of Putty.

IMAG0933.jpg

The seller don't answer my messages in eBay and don't have the password of the 2.4Ghz wireless network to test if can configure or access, ethernet don't work to configure in any LAN port connected.

Any help or contrinytion is well received.

Thanks for help this far far away user :)

Hi friends, I am a new user from Chile in South America.

Sorry if my English is poor.

I have the next problem, I buy a Asus RT-AC87U from eBay a few days ago, when arrive to my home, I try to configure entering to configutacion page in 192.168.1.1 with ethernet cable. The router don't give me access, enter to http://router.asus.com not work.

The next step, keep press the reset button in back for 10 seconds and power up, nothing.

Keep press WPS button for 10 or 5 seconds and power up to clear NVRAM, nothing.

A few hours ago, the router stop booting, or make it very slow, 3 or 4 hours to boot when power button is pressed, to the power led bright fully intensity.

I try to recover firmware, keep press reset button and power up, release when power led blink slow, set ethernet ip 192.168.1.2, DNS 255.255.255.0 and gateway 182.168.1.1 but the only one time the router start in recovery mode, recovery software say "no router in recovery mode find".

I try resoldered the MX25050 EEPROM and read with a SPI reader, but the U-boot is apparently okey, I can't find a uploaded U-boot to write in the chip and test if boot again.

I have a dowbloaded CFE but don't have a USB dongle to JTAG.

I try with serial console, start Putty in 8N1 connection and 115200 b/s, but the only text received are a few symbols, Ctrl+c when power up to start CFE mode don't work. When 3 or 4 hours as been completed and the router boot, the same symbols is showed in the screen of Putty.

View attachment 13708

The seller don't answer my messages in eBay and don't have the password of the 2.4Ghz wireless network to test if can configure or access, ethernet don't work to configure in any LAN port connected.

Any help or contrinytion is well received.

Thanks for help this far far away user :)

You could have filed an eBay issue if the seller wasn't replying back to you and got your money back, unless of course the listing was as described and there are issues with the router and were disclosed. But since you took it apart and soldered it, that's not an option anymore. Sounds like it's toast.

First, looking at your screenshot makes me think that the Rx and Tx wire connections may have gotten mixed up. Make sure that you determine what the correct serial pins are and go from there. Second, and this does not happen very often...once you know which wire goes to which pin....unplug your wires, turn off your router. Then (you may need some extra set of hands for this they are done almost at the same time): power on router + plug your serial wires in AND CRTL+c at the same time. This should get you to CFE.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!