What's new

Asus RT-AC87U killing bandwidth.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johnny Kumbaya

New Around Here
I recently upgraded my internet connection to 500 Mbps.

Plugging a Windows 10 notebook directly in the cable modem yields 500 Mbps however with my Asus router in place my speeds drop to 90 to 150 Mbps. This goes for wired or wireless connections; 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz wireless connections.

None of my devices exceed 150 Mbps (Windows Notebook, Chromebook, Android TV with WiFi) even while in the same room or plugging a laptop into one of the router switch ports

I have verified the following:

Upgrade the firmware. Current version is 3.0.0.4.382_52545
Perform a factory reset on the router.
All wireless connections are on the 5 Ghz segment.
There is one device connected.
I have modified the channel used to other values.

I would appreciate any guidance and feedback to resolve this issue.

Welcome to the forums @Johnny Kumbaya.

With such an old firmware version running, I would look at new hardware today.

With an Asus router, you want to be running at least 386.xx level firmware to be as secure as possible.

After performing a factory reset, are you using any saved backup config files to configure the router?

Are there any USB devices connected?

Have you tried using different Ethernet cables?

Can you verify the WAN/LAN connections are connecting at 1GbE speeds?

Does a different computer perform better (invite a friend with a laptop to test)?

The 87U is end of life , you should consider obtaining something newer.

Do you have QOS enabled , that can kill throughput.

Welcome to the forums @Johnny Kumbaya.

With an Asus router, you want to be running at least 386.xx level firmware to be as secure as possible.

After performing a factory reset, are you using any saved backup config files to configure the router?

Are there any USB devices connected?

Have you tried using different Ethernet cables?

Does a different computer perform better (invite a friend with a laptop to test)?

Thank you and thank you for your reply.

This version is what's on Asus' download site. I guess the router is at EOL.

After performing a factory reset, are you using any saved backup config files to configure the router? No.

Are there any USB devices connected? No.

Have you tried using different Ethernet cables? Yes both from modem to router and from notebook to switch port.

I don't see where to set the port speed, My guess is the port auto negotiates the fast speed posible. I have tried more than one switch port. I will check if you know where this config option is.

I have speed tested a Windows 10 notebook (wired and wireless), a Chromebook (wireless), a Sony TV (wireless) and my Android phone (wireless). All of these test from 110 to 150 Mbps. Occasionally I get from 175 Mbps from my phone. I could plug in a desktop with a gig ethernet card, but I don't think the results will be different.

Thank you again for your reply.

Sorry, I don't know where to see the LAN connection speeds on that old (and stock) firmware.

Your resources are best used to procurement of a replacement, as you indicate above.

I found it. It's on the Network Map page, on the right there is a section called System Status. Click the Status tab and the Ethernet Ports and their connect speeds are listed on the botton of the page. My wired connection is 1 Gbps with a download speed of 136 Mbps. Wireless connections are about the same.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!