What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U on CenturyLink Gigabit Fiber

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ngerasimatos

Regular Contributor
I recently removed the CenturyLink provided router as it was pure garbage and replaced it with an ASUS RT-AC87U. I have the VLAN tagging and everything working properly but my gigabit speeds are good but not as high as I expect.

MacBook-Pro:~$ speedtest
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from WAN ...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by SoftLayer Technologies, Inc. (Seattle, WA) [7.55 km]: 19.663 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 633.18 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 780.20 Mbit/s

I am not sure if there is a specific setting or value I can adjust to get more throughput. COnnecting directly to the ONT with the router removed I can pull 988.20 Mbit/s so there must be something in the router config that is slowing down the speeds or perhaps the router itself just isn't powerful enough. I have read online that others have pulled full gig speeds from the AC87U with Merlin firmware.

Linux version 2.6.36.4brcmarm (merlin@ubuntu-dev) (gcc version 4.5.3 (Buildroot 2012.02) ) #2 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 4 15:11:10 EDT 2017

Is your hardware acceleration active? Check either under LAN -> Switch Control, or Administration -> Performance Tuning. If your router CPU% is hitting 100% during speedtesting, that's also a sure sign that it's not active. Seems that it looks a little bit different for all routers, but ideally you want it to say CTF (Cut Through Forwarding) and FA (Flow Acceleration) active at the same time.

I have the same router (ASUS RT-AC87U) on CenturyLink Gigabit Fiber and I get 500/950. So mine has issues as well. Using the centurylink supplied router I get 950/950. I tried Merlin but it didn't make s difference. Did you ever figure anything out?