What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U UPNP IGD not working because of IGMP problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zapek

New Around Here
I spent a lot of hours solving that issue so here goes (firmware version: 3.0.0.4.382_50010).

I have an RT-AC87U connected to an ISP through a modem in bridge mode. I then have a Windows 10 client on the 5 GHz interface.

Then problem I had is that UPNP IGD (that is used to automatically open ports in the NAT) was very unreliable. It would work fine after the router was booted then stop working after a couple of minutes (ie. the clients would not be able to punch holes in the NAT anymore and the router wouldn't show up in Windows' Network neighborhood list).

After snooping the network around, I finally found out why this happens.

The RT-AC87U advertises itself once per minute using SSDP, which uses multicast to 239.255.255.250:1900. In order for multicast to work properly, IGMP has to pass through.

Unfortunately, IGMP doesn't pass on the 5 GHz interface (it does on ethernet and the 2.4 GHz link).

Switching "Enable IGMP Snooping" on the interface doesn't change anything, as expected.

I did find a way to fix it. The solution is to go to LAN/IPTV and enable IGMP Proxy (and optionally IGMP Snooping).

But I believe this solution is wrong and, since it's not default, it makes for a poor first experience for a user. When I tick "enable UPNP", I expect it to work reliably on all interfaces.

So is it a bug or was there a reason for it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!