What's new

ASUS RT-AC87U with Frontier 500/500 FiOS service?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdalton

Occasional Visitor
I have had FiOS service here for many years (originally through Verizon, now through Frontier) for internet (75/75), TV, & our landline phone. The phone isn't used much at all and the TV service is just way too expensive. So I'm finally adding an antenna so I can "cut the cord", and ditch the landline. I'm keeping Frontier only for it's 500/500 FiOS internet service and, as a result, my monthly bill with them will be a whole lot less.

They're coming out to "install" that 500/500 service in a few days. To my understanding, that means they plan to unplug their Actiontec MI424WR router, then plug that Ethernet cable from the ONT into (probably) an Arris NVG468MQ router. I know nothing about that router, but it's really hard for me to imagine that I'll be very happy with whatever router Frontier supplies. Plus, if I don't need to use their router, that cuts another $10 off my monthly bill.

I already own an ASUS RT-AC87U router, which I never really used in the past (because I never got around to setting up the "three modem configuration" recommended as necessary to maintain all the FiOS TV features). So with FiOS TV now gone, I'm hopeful that means I can -- and should -- use the ASUS RT-AC87U router instead of whatever Frontier wants to install.

So my first question is: Does anyone know whether the ASUS RT-AC87U router will indeed be better than using the Frontier-supplied router for their 500/500 service?

Second question: Assuming I can successfully substitute the ASUS RT-AC87U router, is there anything I should know or do to optimize its performance?

Thanks