What's new

Asus RT-AC87U (WRT-Merlin) and IPv6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

giopas

Regular Contributor
Hello,

Today I have contacted by my ISP to propose a new broadband connection.

I currently have a public IPv4 line connected to my ISP modem which connects to my ASUS RT-AC87U with AsusWRT-Merlin 384.7.

Behind the router I have a couple of QNAP NASes and one Vu+ decoder that I can access remotely (using QNAP's DDNS "myqnapcloud").

The ISP is now proposing a new contract with IPv6. I would be required to use one of their modem router, but I already think to use it as modem only, leaving my ASUS RT-AC87U to do the usual job.

However I do not know how to configure my router to make it work. I know that on Advanced Settings, there is a section on IPv6, but I just want to ensure everything will continue to work.

The options are:
- Disable
- Native
- Static IPv6
- Passthrough
- FLET'S IPv6 service
- Tunnel 6to4
- Tunnel 6in4
- Tunnel 6rd

Can I kindly ask you some guidance? Beside the increased broadband speed , what are the other pros and are there any cons to do so?

Thanks in advance

Hello, sorry to come back and up this discussion. Anyone who could be able to guide me on this? Thanks a lot!

You'll need to know what sort of IPV6 your ISP is providing.
I have Comcast cable here and use Native DHCP-PD.
No issues for me.

upload_2018-10-23_14-48-41.png

Here is my config. IPv6 DNS Setting is configured to use Cloudflare instead of my ISP's. If you leave it on enabled it should fetch your ISP's DNS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!