What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U 386.5 / 386.5.2 firmware - Wi-Fi disconnect few times a day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to the forums @icscht.

On the sparse information you provide, there isn't much to suggest as a fix.

If you want the latest security and other optimizations on your network that the latest firmware offers (and you should), I suggest flashing to the current firmware, fully resetting the router, and then minimally and manually configuring the network from scratch.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Almost all L&LD Links

After first flashing the latest firmware, then fully resetting the router (see second link above), do not use a saved backup config file. Do not reuse any USB drive that you had previously used as an amtm drive (before you format it as NTFS in a PC first).

Do not 'blindly' use old settings, options, and scripts that worked 'once upon a time'.

The latest firmware works extremely well for many, many others. It is your specific setup that when you update, makes the router not be in a good/known state. The full reset and minimal and manual configuration (after you flash to the firmware you want to use) will ensure that the expected defaults the router expects will be the ones it uses and then your router/network will be stable and reliable too.

Also, be sure to read all the changelogs since your current firmware to see how the underlying features and options may be expecting different settings than what you're assuming in your network now.

I got AC-88U my self, and on latest version 386.5_2, it does indeed disconnect people during the day (Default setup).

FWIW, I also have an AC88U and experienced the WAN disconnection within 48 hours of performing a dirty upgrade from 386.3_2 to 386.5. I immediately reverted to 386.3_2, which resolved the issue. I eventually decided to dirty upgrade to 386.5_2 and surprisingly did not experience any further WAN disconnections. I did have some connectivity issues with 2.4GHz guests dropping out randomly. I never really resolved that matter but creating 5GHz guest segments seem to have stabilized things. SFSG!