What's new

Asus RT-AC88U and Linksys EA9500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Asus 1967

Occasional Visitor
I was looking at these two models. Would appreciate some feedback on what the advantages or disadvantages between the 2 models.

Thank you

disadvantage is they both cost crap loads without giving you the performance to match

why do you need 2156M 5 gig and 100M 2.4 gig ?

do you have even 1 wireless adapter that can sync at the above speeds ?

would you use the 8 lan ports ?

do you have a nas with link aggregation ?

you understand you get very little extra wifi coverage compared to a 1900ac class router that cost far less

---------------------

the big question that needs asking is what do you actually want and need in a wireless router and why

Thanks for your reply. I don't have very much knowledge and the more I read the more I'm confused :). I have an rt-ac87u and it seems to be rebooting frequently. Between the kids my wife and myself we have up to 20 devices connected at times. The kids and the wife are using Netflix etc. I have really no idea about anything else would just like a router that will last for several years and a little more stable than the 87u. is there a model you would recommend?

Appreciate the help

unfortunately the rt-ac87u is a bit of a dog for many reasons , but i dont see the need to aim so high or pay so much, perhaps look at the asus rt-ac3100 or the netgear r7500 , it sounds like you need something with good qos with that usage pattern , the asus has pretty good qos

On the Asus side, any of their AC1900 models would be an improvement: RT-AC68U/P, RT-AC66U_B1, RT-AC1900P, etc...

The RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 are great products as well, but they can be a bit expensive if you don't really need their faster CPU.

On the Asus side, any of their AC1900 models would be an improvement: RT-AC68U/P, RT-AC66U_B1, RT-AC1900P, etc...

The RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 are great products as well, but they can be a bit expensive if you don't really need their faster CPU.
Thanks You, appreciate everyones info

RT-AC3100 seems to be the golden boy - we don't see a lot of trouble reports on it compared to others...

just saying - and it's a simple design* like the RT-AC68U - just with a newer/faster core CPU, and better radios

* relatively speaking - no second smart connect wifi radio (AC3200/AC5300), no 3rd party switch integrated (88U), no third party radio (aka 87U) - complexity in the router/AP/gateway is never a good thing.

Myself, I almost always lean towards Asus anything ...
  • They are usually competitive price/performance-wise
  • They have a better than most user interface
  • Sooner or later many of us have a problem with our ISP. Asus' built-in traffic monitor is a great tool to aid in determining if the problem is with you or the ISP (the ISP will almost always say it's "you" ;-)
    • And adding RMerlin allows you to pin-point exactly which device is flooding ...
What I don't understand is why it's so hard to find Asus devices. None of the stores in my area carry Asus; it's all Linksys and/or Netgear products. If I want something I have to go to SNB Forums and then go to some Internet mail-order site. I think I could actually make a few bucks by setting up an Asus Kiosk in one of our local Malls ...

Last edited:
Jumping in herer since its the same thing. Im looking into the same routers, and i just bought a Qnap NAS 4 BAY TS-453A with 4 lan ports and intend to use all lan ports. I now run Lan cable on stationary PC, xbox one and TV for gaming/streaming purposes. Have disconnected TV to WIFI so i can use 2 lan ports on nas for now. . Thinking the AC88U is my best choice? Any ideas?

Jumping in herer since its the same thing. Im looking into the same routers, and i just bought a Qnap NAS 4 BAY TS-453A with 4 lan ports and intend to use all lan ports. I now run Lan cable on stationary PC, xbox one and TV for gaming/streaming purposes. Have disconnected TV to WIFI so i can use 2 lan ports on nas for now. . Thinking the AC88U is my best choice? Any ideas?
Why not just buy/add a cheap switch to your existing setup to get the extra LAN ports you want?

Why not just buy/add a cheap switch to your existing setup to get the extra LAN ports you want?

Wont the switch connection to router be a huge bottle neck? instead of 4 streams going directly to router it will only be my internal Lan that will benefit the speed on the switch. Also everything that is connected to internet will share 1 connection to the router through the switch. Might be wrong thinking thou.

Wont the switch connection to router be a huge bottle neck? instead of 4 streams going directly to router it will only be my internal Lan that will benefit the speed on the switch. Also everything that is connected to internet will share 1 connection to the router through the switch. Might be wrong thinking thou.

LAN to LAN traffic does not need to go through the router at all. Ideally, I would connect all your devices on the external switch, and only connect the switch to your router. That way, the only traffic that will go through the link between the router and the switch will be Internet traffic, wifi traffic, or any traffic to a USB-connected HDD. The last two won't get anywhere near to saturating a full 1 Gbps link.

That's how I have it setup at home.

LAN to LAN traffic does not need to go through the router at all. Ideally, I would connect all your devices on the external switch, and only connect the switch to your router. That way, the only traffic that will go through the link between the router and the switch will be Internet traffic, wifi traffic, or any traffic to a USB-connected HDD. The last two won't get anywhere near to saturating a full 1 Gbps link.

That's how I have it setup at home.

Since i have 4 lan ports on the 4 BAY NAS that is gonna be used towards a 100mBit line up and down. aprox 8 users will use the NAS as storage/download and upload. and use 2 ports for upload and 2 for download (want to use port aggregation) Also have 4 k streaming through 2 TV's and 2 stationary PC via internet netflix etc. approx 10 other units will be connected to Wifi. If i connect everything to 1 switch with 1 cable to the router will not this make a good bottle neck?

Last edited:
approx 10 other units will be connected to Wifi. If i connect everything to 1 switch with 1 cable to the router will not this make a good bottle neck?

No, since your Wifi's max throughput is lower than 1 Gbps anyway.

No, since your Wifi's max throughput is lower than 1 Gbps anyway.

Ok that i didnt think about. But since i had 2 buy a new router anyway with min Ac2300 + switch i only had to pay lik 50 bucks more for the AC88U and thenni have 1 less box that need power. Thank you for the answer you gave me. I have some other friends that defenatly will prefer the set up with switch.