What's new

Asus RT-AC88U Drops HomeKit Devices WLCEVENTD

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Resaix

New Around Here
I have this extremely annoying thing where my router keeps dropping all my wifi devices for a few seconds then reconnects again.

----- This are the last events, no edit between them ----
Jan 12 20:51:15 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc 40:CB:C0:76:5A:33
Jan 12 21:13:03 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc 40:CB:C0:76:5A:33
Jan 12 21:36:21 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 54:BD:79:05:87:76
Jan 12 21:52:29 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc D4:90:9C:ED:9A:70
Jan 12 22:01:01 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc D4:90:9C:ED:9A:70
Jan 12 22:55:50 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc A0:9D:C1:20:3B:D6
Jan 12 22:55:50 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc A0:9D:C1:20:3B:D6
Jan 12 22:55:58 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc 00:7E:56:77:30:11
Jan 12 22:55:58 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc 00:7E:56:77:30:11

This is what shows up in the logs. Every single homekit devices resets at this point, lights turn on (the default state) and homekit outlets reset, turning off and on (no idea why they turn off but whatever). Its really annoying, had this router for about 1 year and didn't have any problems with it..it just started doing this sh*t few weeks ago.

Anyone else knows whats up with these WLCEVENTD events? and how can they be fixed?

Thank you...Asus has sh*tty support so I have no luck with them besides sending this to warranty and waiting 2 weeks to prob get it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just posted this question also, The only change I have is the firmware update.

Mine is a rt-ac86U thou
I went with Merlin Firmware after this and its good, no more drops for 1 week since I have it. I recommend changing the firmware.

I had to roll back all my routers.

This firmware version does not work.

All my RT-AC86U units have the same issue.

Did we do the testing on this firmware?

Are you using Merlin Firmware too? I had the issue with latest stock Asus firmware but its all good after I changed it. I posted this on Asus forums too and sent it to support but not even a reply from them...

And issue on my AC86U on the Merlin 384.9 firmware. Very annoying when watching a movie on Plex. Video would stop every 10 min. Had to roll back to the previous firmware version.

I had this problem where my (AC3100 ver. 3.0.0.4.384_45149) WiFi devices on the 2.4Ghz band (e.g. Wemo, Home Kit, Google Home minis) were NOT connecting after I restarted my router. The router's log was full of repetitive error entries for those unconnected WiFi devices - WLCEVENTD: Disassoc and Assoc

I was able to RESOLVE this issue by disabling the Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming feature in the router:

• Select within the left pane menu: Advanced Settings > Wireless
  • Select along the top tabs: Professional
  • Select the Wifi Band (drop down menu: 2.4Ghz) having the issue
  • Set the following 2 features to Disable:
  1. Airtime Fairness
  2. Universal Beamforming
  • Click on the Apply button to save the settings
After making the above changes, all my 2.4Ghz devices reconnect within 2 mins. after a router reboot (I have 15 devices on the 2.4Ghz band) and I no longer get those Disassoc/Assoc error messages in the router's log. Note that I did NOT experience this problem with devices on the 5Ghz band.

Attachments

• Asus 2.4.png
    Asus 2.4.png
    349.7 KB · Views: 2,390
I had this problem where my (AC3100 ver. 3.0.0.4.384_45149) WiFi devices on the 2.4Ghz band (e.g. Wemo, Home Kit, Google Home minis) were NOT connecting after I restarted my router. The router's log was full of repetitive error entries for those unconnected WiFi devices - WLCEVENTD: Disassoc and Assoc

I was able to RESOLVE this issue by disabling the Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming feature in the router:

• Airtime Fairness
    • Universal Beamforming

After making the above changes, all my 2.4Ghz devices reconnect within 2 mins. after a router reboot (I have 15 devices on the 2.4Ghz band) and I no longer get those Disassoc/Assoc error messages in the router's log. Note that I did NOT experience this problem with devices on the 5Ghz band.
Thanks! I started to have issues again even with Merlin Firmware and it happened more and more often...I disabled the stuff and I hope it will get better now. I had only the Universal Beamforming enabled.

I do not have Homekit or Wemo devices, but I get the impression that the way they use multicasting might not work well with Asus router defaults. If this is the case, then you could try the following:
  • LAN > IPTV > Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) > Enable
  • Wireless > Professional > Enable IGMP Snooping > Enable

RT-AC5300 after update to last firmware 384.10:

Apr 2 20:18:10 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc 84:0D:8E:44:A0:C7
Apr 2 20:18:15 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc 84:0D:8E:44:A0:C7
Apr 2 20:24:01 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc 80:19:34:10:4A:AA
Apr 2 20:24:01 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 80:19:34:10:4A:AA
Apr 2 20:28:32 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc 14:BB:6E:1E:96:0B
Apr 2 20:31:03 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Disassoc 80:19:34:10:4A:AA
Apr 2 20:31:03 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 80:19:34:10:4A:AA

Different devices, including the laptop.
This sh*t, wirelles is broken.
NVRAM cleaning is executed.
Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
AC88U is just awful, or maybe the hardware version I have is...I can't fix this, some settings from what I've seen make it do it less often but still disconnects the devices from time to time. At some point the music on my Homepod was interrupted every 10 seconds or so by WLCEVENTD

• Airtime Fairness
    • Universal Beamforming

Ok, I disable this for all 3 WiFi Bands, now messages appear seldom only if jump 2.4Ghz > 5.0Ghz (laptop only). Thanks!

AC88U is just awful, or maybe the hardware version I have is...I can't fix this, some settings from what I've seen make it do it less often but still disconnects the devices from time to time. At some point the music on my Homepod was interrupted every 10 seconds or so by WLCEVENTD

Those messages aren't a cause, they are a symptom. They indicate that your clients are disconnecting and reconnecting.

Try the recommended wifi settings:

- Disable Universal/Implicit Beamforming (Explicit is fine)
- Disable Airtime Fairness
- Disable MU-MIMO

I used an RT-AC88U as my primary router for about two years, and it has always been rock stable for me.

They are disabled but all it does it decrease how often the devices disconnect, still happens at least once a day.
upload_2019-4-3_23-26-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-3_23-26-39.png
    upload_2019-4-3_23-26-39.png
    314.8 KB · Views: 445
They are disabled but all it does it decrease how often the devices disconnect, still happens at least once a day. View attachment 16848
  • Tx power adjustment at max (Performance)
  • Explicit Beamforming Enable (as RMerlin mentioined)
  • Universal Beamforming Disable (as RMerlin mentioned; you already disabled)
  • Bluetooth Coexistence Disable (Unless you have noticed Bluetooth interference?)

• Tx power adjustment at max (Performance)
  • Explicit Beamforming Enable (as RMerlin mentioined)
  • Universal Beamforming Disable (as RMerlin mentioned; you already disabled)
  • Bluetooth Coexistence Disable (Unless you have noticed Bluetooth interference?)
Alright, modified these...will see what happens now.

I have the same issue since update to Merlin 384.10_2.
I can create the "warning" or "Info" in the log. (loglevel DEBUG, Messages more urgent then ALL)

I have an TP-Link repeater. This repeater changes the first 3 bytes of the mac to a repeater mac:

My Smartphone has MAC: 64:A2:F9:51:81:12
When I'm connected via the TP-Link Repeater, this MAC is changed to 52:C7:BF:51:81:12
The 3 Bytes pre-Fix is changed. TP-Link says, this is needed to get the connection routed correctly.

If my smartphone gets a connection by Wifi on the RT-AC88U, the message is shown:

Apr 21 13:17:54 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 64:A2:F9:51:81:12

When the connection is changed to the Repeater, the following messages are shown:

Apr 21 13:18:07 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Assoc 64:A2:F9:51:81:12
Apr 21 13:18:15 WLCEVENTD: eth1: Disassoc 64:A2:F9:51:81:12
Apr 21 13:18:15 WLCEVENTD: eth2: Assoc 52:C7:BF:51:81:12

So the Log provides information about WIFI-Connections of clients. In my case, the connections are startet and stopped.

Perhaps they are also shown, when the DHCP-lease is renewed.
Annoying, but it does not seam to be harmful.

Yes i have. But didn‘t check.
It ist connected strikt by one wifi and gets always same ip address. (Provided by a raspberry pi DHCP server)

Perhaps at your Setup the Google Home Mini changes the Connection to Router and Repeater (Mesh) every some some Minutes? So you would see these log entries.

I did this changes:
  • LAN > IPTV > Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy) > Enable
  • Wireless > Professional > Enable IGMP Snooping > Enable

And got another problem: My 2.4 Ghz Wifi Powerplug (DLink DSP-W215) disconnects and does not reconnect until router reboot.
The connection trys are seen in the log.
The plug did work for 2-3 Years fine until update to Firmware Merlin 384.10_2 from 384.7_2

Last edited:
More on my issue:
It seems again, the TPLink RE500 Repeater (linked on 5Ghz to the Asus RT-AC88U) does not work properly.
Clients connected via the Repeater worked fine some hours and stopped then. No connection to Repeater nor Router.
I saw the Systemlog running with these annoying Assoc / Disassoc messages, concerning only Clients connected to the Repeater earlier the day.
Look into the Admin-Page of TPLink RE500: The Clients are not disconnected properly, even as they are off.
So a reboot of the Repeater did wipe the problem away. Well just for 2 hours now. Let's see how long.

So i guess the Assoc / Disassoc problem looks like a Repeater / Mesh-Issue when Clients are not proper disconnected and starting connections on another access-point...

• Airtime Fairness
    • Universal Beamforming

Hi just wanted to confirm if you are using the same router and your issue didn't happened again?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!