What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U Feedback, Issues and Reviews. Please Share Yours

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IAAI

Very Senior Member
This thread is for all AC88U users to share their experience. Please Share Yours Here

asus-rt-ac88u-front-100621145-orig.jpg

*Running 3.0.0.4.380_858

* First 4 lan ports are occupied and working fine beside 14 wifi clients

*NAS is performing better than 68P (Read/Write) speeds.

*Range and link rate is better than 68P

*Asus didn't fix NTP update yet , it still does it every hour

Nov 11 02:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
Nov 11 02:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Nov 11 03:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Nov 11 04:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Nov 11 05:59:59 ntp: start NTP update
Nov 11 07:00:01 ntp: start NTP update
Nov 11 07:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Nov 11 08:59:57 ntp: start NTP update
Nov 11 09:59:59 ntp: start NTP update

* My laptop with (intel 7260) doesn't prefer 5ghz when router's 5ghz set to...
Capture.png

-----

I will try to keep this thread updated with my experience​

Last edited:
Wireless Mode is best left to Auto, ime.

Yeah i left it auto
Didn't experience this with 68P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far no issues here, I got a nice bump in wifi performance. I'm very happy with it. It also seems to run alot cooler than my 87 did but that's to be expected I suppose with the newer chipset and much better ventilation. Currently using 6 of the 8 ports since I'm to lazy to run another right now for the TV but I will probably do that this weekend.

I think 88 and 3100 are going to be a great upgrade for anyone coming from 68 and below in terms of range, speed and performance.

I am looking to see some reviews on people upgrading from the Dark Knight aka N66U. I am looking to try and upgrade my household soon and was unsure of the 87 ones.

I tried 87 when it came out and 6 months ago Didn't like it at all.

Can someone please explain Link Aggregation usage with NAS ?

Can someone please explain Link Aggregation usage with NAS ?

If your NAS supports Link aggregation, it means that if two PCs connect at the same time to the NAS, you will be able to go up to 2 Gbps (1 Gbps per client).

It does not improve performance when a single client accesses it at one time.

I connected my Synology NAS in Link Aggregation and it seems to work. I am still playing with the other settings but I am happy to report that it appears to be working.

How do you test it ?

How do you test it ?

I am still playing with it, and haven't thoroughly tested anything yet but I went into the Lan settings, switch control, bonded Lan1 and Lan2 together, then I could see in the router interface that there are two Mac addresses associated to the diskstation, then went into the Synology interface and bonded those together via Dynamic 802.3ad. (had to adjust my MTU's to match) but it went successfully.

The only testing I have done so far is went and turned two tv's feeding from my Plex server that pulls from the synology storage, did a Large folder file copy from my HyperV servers iSCSI drives to the local drives, (all on different PC's) and viewed my surveillance station live viewing locally on my main workstation, and did a file copy from my local host to the DS. The synology CPU was taxed but it was bouncing more than just solid CPU time like it used to do when everything is going. I just wanted to see if it was working.

I haven't taken the time yet to watch the meter in the 88U interface, but I can see that it's indeed working, and that was one of the main things I wanted the 8 ports for. Will it make a difference in real life? I don't know, but technically it should in my case. I have about 8 things hitting the diskstation at once at certain times, so hopefully it will improve performance.

Once I have everything settled in elsewhere I plan to do a more definitive real life test.

Edit: You can go into traffic monitor and see two additional tabs between WAN, Wired, and Wireless 2.4 and 5 called Bonding (LAN1) and Bonding (LAN2) to see the traffic going through. Maybe that is what I will use to test it with tomorrow.

Last edited:
I don't think this is a bug at all. There is nothing wrong a device trying to update via NTP every hour. Now, is there a need to log that? No.

Is it a travel router that needs to check on time every hour ? No i m not traveling with big butt router every hour.

Last edited:
Is it a travel router that needs to check on time every hour ? No i m not traveling with big butt router every hour.

I'm not even sure what you mean by this. All I can gather is that you're irritated that your Asus product syncs time with a NTP server every 3,600 seconds or so?

I'm not even sure what you mean by this. All I can gather is that you're irritated that your Asus product syncs time with a NTP server every 3,600 seconds or so?

Yes because there is no home router that travels from location to another in order to get NTP synced every hour. Does it really need to sync time every 3600000 milliseconds [emoji23]? Unless asus uses NTP sync for some other function that we don't know about.

Last edited:
I connected my Synology NAS in Link Aggregation and it seems to work. I am still playing with the other settings but I am happy to report that it appears to be working.
Is it as hot as previous Asus router? Or does it produce much heat? Is it reliable yet? What about WTFast GPN server? Do u use that function?

Is it as hot as previous Asus router? Or does it produce much heat? Is it reliable yet? What about WTFast GPN server? Do u use that function?
allow me to answer
i used to have 68P and had the same temperature as the new 88 . yes it is reliable
wtfast requires free account from wtf website , didn't try it yet :p.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!