What's new

ASUS RT-AC88U - losing internet connection when deactivating VPN Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Caniwi

New Around Here
Hi All,
A complete newbie and not very technical but loving the new router. I am using ExpressVPN and have set up a number of VPN Clients. Everything works perfectly until I deactivate the current client (usually to switch to another). Anytime I deactivate a client I lose the Internet connection and need to reboot the router. Rebooting works fine but its just a pain. Any ideas? Thanks

Under VPN Client, make sure "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" is set to NO.
Thanks for the reply it is really appreciated. However, I don't seem to have that as an option though. the only options under VPN Client is to add profiles, activate, deactivate, delete, and edit which is to edit the description, username or password of the VPN Client.

Attachments

• vpn.JPG
    vpn.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 406
I think robahearts means under each client setup that you have created. Go into each client and make sure "Block routed clients if tunnel goes down" is set to NO. I had trouble with this too, until I worked it out. I would try to switch from one client to another and because I had each one set to "YES" then I couldn't get any access to the internet. YMMV depending on the interface you are using. I have ASUSWRT Merlin firmware installed on a RT-AC68U

Thanks for the reply it is really appreciated. However, I don't seem to have that as an option though. the only options under VPN Client is to add profiles, activate, deactivate, delete, and edit which is to edit the description, username or password of the VPN Client.

It appears to me from the screenshot that this router has stock firmware installed and not Merlin. In that case the option to “block clients if tunnel goes down” is not available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Marin. Yep..... that will be it. I'm just using the stock standard firmware it came with. Perhaps I should consider changing to Merlin although everything else is working fine. Cheers!!
P