Asus RT-AC88U merlin 386.1_2 getting drops on Verizon FIOS "WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly."

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Morris

Guess ill probably pick up a router from them "free anyway" after clean 384.19 it still was not stable. swapped back around midnight to old provider and no issues since
I'm also running double NAT through an old Verizon router and have no issue. I've used it as a bridge to media convert and that also worked so I suspect your issue is something else though this may be a viable workaround.

Good luck,

Morris

deathbyburk

Occasional Visitor
Latest stock firmware with "WAN issues fix" and almost 24 hours no problems. I could not make more then 3 at any time. I'll keep posted but so far so good

Morris

Latest stock firmware with "WAN issues fix" and almost 24 hours no problems. I could not make more then 3 at any time. I'll keep posted but so far so good
That's interesting. To implicate the Merlin code, you will need to allow a few more renewals and/or force them. Then you need to go back to the Merlin code and see if the problem persists.

Morris

deathbyburk

Occasional Visitor
So 2 full days and no issues. Not a merlin issue but was an ASUS until they patched 2 patches ago(assumption). Merlin should be merging that code next/soon.

Morris

So 2 full days and no issues. Not a merlin issue but was an ASUS until they patched 2 patches ago(assumption). Merlin should be merging that code next/soon.

This assumption should be proven. Revert to the Merlin firmware and/or equivalent Asus version and see if the problem comes back. So far you have proven that a reset to factory resolves your issue.

Morris

deathbyburk

Occasional Visitor
oh sorry maybe I was not clear. gigabit/fiber is very new and not sure what/if is different then my prior 2 cable internet providers I have been using since I upgraded from my u.s. robotics 56k :) but could not stay connected. very sinilar "connected to internet but no internet" issues I see posted.

386.2_2
issues
clean reset - issues

386.2_4
same

384_19
clean reset and lost net after few hours and honestly had less patience at this point to mess with settings as I did other

Latest stock (not searching version atm)
3 days ROCK solid

Morris

oh sorry maybe I was not clear. gigabit/fiber is very new and not sure what/if is different then my prior 2 cable internet providers I have been using since I upgraded from my u.s. robotics 56k :) but could not stay connected. very sinilar "connected to internet but no internet" issues I see posted.

386.2_2
issues
clean reset - issues

386.2_4
same

384_19
clean reset and lost net after few hours and honestly had less patience at this point to mess with settings as I did other

Latest stock (not searching version atm)
3 days ROCK solid

Now that you are good for 3 days, load Merlin 386.2_4 with a full reset. Then configure manually and see how it works.

Good luck,

Morris

OxqIMJ

New Around Here
Is there any further updates on this? I am using the latest stock firmware and have this exact problem.

bilged

Occasional Visitor
I'm on 386.2_6 and no longer have the problem. Looks like it's been fixed. I did do a clean update though too.

Morris

Is there any further updates on this? I am using the latest stock firmware and have this exact problem.

The latest firmware allows you to set "DHCP query frequency" to Continuous. The setting can be found from the left side tab WAN and top tab Internet Connection. It is the third from the bottom. I'm on FIOS and rock solid.

Morris

sbsnb

Very Senior Member
I've been using FiOS for the past 11 years with whatever is the default DHCP setting and never had an issue.

Morris

I've been using FiOS for the past 11 years with whatever is the default DHCP setting and never had an issue.

Is your Asus router connected directly to the ONT? Many people have had issues and it lead to Asus adding the continuous setting which appears to have corrected the issue. My connection only changed to the ONT recently and I chose continuous when I connected to avoid the reported issues so I'm not a use case for this fix yet have no issues with continuous selected. Possibly the model of the ONT you have makes a difference.

Morris

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!