What's new

Asus RT-AC88U wifi problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smiticans

New Around Here
For the past year my Asus RT-AC88U router has been working flawlessly running merlin firmware 380.64. Within the past month I've been experiencing intermittent issues with the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels. I've been having devices drop off the network (iPhones, iPads, tablets, Genie Aladdin connect, Honeywell Tuxedo touch etc) at random times. Some of the devices drop off the network completely and I need to reboot the router before they can reconnect, and sometimes they stay connected but webpages won't load.

The only thing I've changed in the past month was that I purchased an iPhone 8 plus. Unless it's a coincidence, I have a feeling the iPhone 8 has something to do with the connection issues.

Last week I updated the firmware to merlin 382.1_2 and I reset the router to its factory defaults. The router functioned normally for about a day or two but the connection issues are back.

I am not having issues with any of the hardwired devices on the network.

Is anyone else experiencing these connection issues with their AC88U?

Thanks!

For the past year my Asus RT-AC88U router has been working flawlessly running merlin firmware 380.64. Within the past month I've been experiencing intermittent issues with the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels. I've been having devices drop off the network (iPhones, iPads, tablets, Genie Aladdin connect, Honeywell Tuxedo touch etc) at random times. Some of the devices drop off the network completely and I need to reboot the router before they can reconnect, and sometimes they stay connected but webpages won't load.

The only thing I've changed in the past month was that I purchased an iPhone 8 plus. Unless it's a coincidence, I have a feeling the iPhone 8 has something to do with the connection issues.

Last week I updated the firmware to merlin 382.1_2 and I reset the router to its factory defaults. The router functioned normally for about a day or two but the connection issues are back.

I am not having issues with any of the hardwired devices on the network.

Is anyone else experiencing these connection issues with their AC88U?

Thanks!
Try the latest 382 beta... I just got this router and was having connection issues with some 2.4ghz devices. I updated to the 382 beta and it fixed my issues. I also made sure that the system time was correct. I'm not sure what that had to do with it, but I noticed that my system log times were not correct in the old firmware.

If it's not working, it won't hurt. Good luck

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

I'm still having this issue, only this time it's worse. The 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands keep dropping in and out. The corresponding lights for the 2.4 and 5ghz bands on the router keep turning on and off and I'm unable to use either wireless band. I updated to the latest merlin firmware, 384.3 and after I updated, I did a factory reset. Immediately after doing the update and the factory reset the issues still occurred. Is anyone else having similar issues or do we think my router is defective?

I'm stuck in 380.69_2 because of 2.4Ghz band starts having high latency and low bandwidth speed after 20-30 minutes uptime. BUT it's not specific to RMerlin in my case... it also happens with 382 & 384 series from ASUS's official firmwares.
I have reported the issue, because some people is having it too, although RMerlin and some others don't have it.

And the slowness affects my IP cameras, Android and iPhone phones, whatever I connect to 2.4

I think I was originally on the 380 firmware when I first started having this issue. Currently I can't connect to either 2.4 or 5Ghz. Rebooting and resetting to factory defaults does nothing. I guess I'm going to call Asus tomorrow.

And the slowness affects my IP cameras, Android and iPhone phones, whatever I connect to 2.4

What IP cameras are you using? IP cameras should always be hardwired using PoE if possible. My IP cameras don't even pass though my router.

I think I was originally on the 380 firmware when I first started having this issue. Currently I can't connect to either 2.4 or 5Ghz. Rebooting and resetting to factory defaults does nothing. I guess I'm going to call Asus tomorrow.

What IP cameras are you using? IP cameras should always be hardwired using PoE if possible. My IP cameras don't even pass though my router.
Oh, no. My case is just with 382/384 branch and I can connect but with those problems after some time. On 380 it goes just perfect.

And I have 2 NC450 from TP-Link, nothing fancy over 2.4Ghz. They work perfect, no latency, my NAS records the stream without issues at all.
Although I want them PoE wired, don't have time right now to do so, so I left them that way in the meantime because they just work perfect.
They have to go through my router because my NAS is running the surveillance station software.

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk