What's new

ASUS RT-ACRH13 Router WLAN Speed issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

depakjan

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,
Recently i upgraded from a very old 150 Mbps basic router to this ASUS router as i wanted good LAN speeds for streaming HD movies and games within my home. I thought this router would be an awesome upgrade compared to my basic router, but to my horror its a very very slight improvement, i am so pissed off , i think i may be doing something wrong so i need help.

Issue 1
WLAN speeds are pathetic, i get like 8 Mbps to 11 Mbps speeds?.. what nonsense is this, i am not talking about the internet speeds , my internet speed is just 10 Mbps so no issues there, but i expected my LAN speeds to be waaaaay better than this garbage speed. below is what was advertised , at least i thought i would get around 400 mbps lan speeds in my 5ghz band for streaming my PC games or movies

Dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi with concurrent speeds up to 867Mbps (5GHz) and 400Mbps (2.4GHz)

So now i thought i may be doing something wrong and here is my setup for streaming movies,

My PC has windows 10 and Killer Wireless-N 1202 Network Adapter card. it is connected with the 5ghz wifi and all my other devices are also using 5ghz

1. Connected my USB 3.0 HDD and moved some 1080p movies there, i get stream speeds of around 11 Mbps max
2. Installed Plex and streamed from my android device(note 4) again max around 11 Mbps
3. Used moonlight for streaming PC games, cant really find out the band width but games aren't playable
4. Copy pasted few movies between my PC and surface pro 3, i get only 5 mbps max

Note that i find out the stream speeds using my android device (bandiwdth meter in status bar and NetSpeedMonitor in PC)

Is my setup wrong, how in the world can i get good speeds and what is a more accurate way to measure the WLAN speeds , even my earlier router was giving almost similar speeds, i feel like i wasted so much money on this useless router

Issue 2
Network coverage, it was advertised as if this router covers a entire house both the ground floor and the first floor, my house just has one floor and this thing cant even cover the entire house .. huff (i am so angry at it , i want to just throw it in the garbage bin)

Please help me out guys , how can i get good WLAN speeds and good coverage ???

Last edited:
The RT-ACRH13 is a very uncommon model, probably very few users here have that model.

Wow!!.. thats a sad news, i thought this was a very good router

I never said it was a bad router. Just that it's not a very popular one (it's not sold in every countries).

I don't know what is causing your problem, but don't test speeds to/from a USB drive attached to the router because it is unrepresentative. Test file transfers between two PC's on your LAN.

Additionally, the Killer Wireless-N 1202 card is an old device that only works at "n" speeds not "ac". As such it's maximum theoretical link speed is 300Mbps with 2 antennas (2x150MHz). But you should be able to get about 100Mbps out of it in normal circumstances. [That's assuming 40MHz bandwidth, if you're using 20MHz you can halve those figures.]

Last edited:
I already made it to work only on 80mhz band alone, sill the same, definitely something is causing the bottleneck or router has gone bad or something
Lp1VZ

Lp1VZ

Please check these images and let me know if i need to change something

Last edited:
I already made it to work only on 80mhz band alone, sill the same, definitely something is causing the bottleneck or router has gone bad or something
Did you try the LAN to LAN test that I suggested earlier?

Also as stated before, your Killer Wireless card can't do 80MHz so set the router's Channel bandwidth to 20/40/80 MHz.

Disable MIMO and Explicit beamforming to see if that makes a difference.

Yes, i checked between two PC , its the same, does not get past 11 mbps :( , also i have set back to 20/40/80 MHz and disabled MIMO and explicit, did not make any difference at all

Very strange.

When doing a file transfer what link speed (not throughput) is being reported by your PC's network adapter? Also, the link speed reported by the router at System Log > Wireless Log (probably have to refresh that page a few times)?

Very strange.

When doing a file transfer what link speed (not throughput) is being reported by your PC's network adapter? Also, the link speed reported by the router at System Log > Wireless Log (probably have to refresh that page a few times)?
Link speed keeps changing from 463 mbps till 867 mbps.. but the transfer rate does not exceed above 11 mbps.. i dont know what its doing though

Link speed keeps changing from 463 mbps till 867 mbps.. but the transfer rate does not exceed above 11 mbps.. i dont know what its doing though
That suggests that the wireless connection in itself is working correctly but that the sender or receiver can't cope with the speed. This can happen when writing to a USB drive attached to the router or a slow flash drive attached to a PC.

Edit: Anti-virus perhaps.

Last edited:
Thank you but i dont have any anti-virus installed, just the windows defender, also if it is the receiver, i have tested in my Note 4, Surface Pro 3 and another android tablet. transfer rate is almost same or less.

Your problem is more likely to be Windows 10.

I had hell a few weeks ago with a USB wireless AC adaptor for a laptop.

I couldn't get the speed correct and eventually looked in Windows 10 Wireless settings and it simply refused to select AC, the connection was always 802.11n so half the speed.

I had to delete all the WiFi drivers and find Win10 compatible drivers to manually install.

Windows very helpfully refused to find/install the correct driver for that laptop despite 2 other devices in the house having the correct latest drivers from the Windows Compatability store.

Well I'm running out of ideas.

Taking a step back, earlier you were talking about streaming 1080p movies. Netflix for example, streams 1080p at 8Mbps. Most of the files I have locally are about 10Mbps. So depending on the files and formats involved 11Mbps doesn't sound an unreasonable speed. The files won't stream faster than is required.

It would be more useful if you could use a network benchmark utility between two PC's to get a more accurate measure of throughput. Try something like this (turn off the firewalls on both machines whilst testing).

Last edited:
Good!!! .. finally.. with the utility i was able to hit 60 MBps, so i guess stream just does not want to use more bandwidth , also 1 more thing i did is connected through a ethernet cable between my main pc and router.. i guess Killer Wireless-N 1202 Network Adapter card is mostly a junk card then.. . thanks a lot everyone atleast now i know thing or two... special thanks to ColinTaylor.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!