What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX3000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23403 (2023/05/31)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ericthefish

Occasional Visitor
ASUS RT-AX3000 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.23403
Version 3.0.0.4.388.23403
92.17 MB
2023/05/31
New features:
-Built-in Surfshark in VPN Fusion allows you to surf the internet anonymously and securely from anywhere by encrypting connections. Please refer to https://asus.click/SurfsharkVPN

-iPhone/Android USB auto backup WAN allows you to connect your phone to the router’s USB port and use it as an internet source. Please refer to https://asus.click/AutobackupWAN

-DDNS transfer allows you to transfer your ASUS DDNS hostname from your original router to the new one. Please refer to https://asus.click/ASUSDDNS

Bug fixes and functionality modifications:
-Resolved the issue with login and password changes.
-Resolved the IPSec VPN connection issues.
-Resolved the Instant Guard connection issues.
-Fixed the AiCloud login issue after unplugging and plugging the HDD into the USB port.
-Fixed the issue where Traffic Analyzer sometimes couldn't record data.
-Fixed the time display issue for the preferred upgrade time in the Auto Firmware Upgrade function.
-Fine-tuned the description for port status.
-Enabled DynDNS and No-IP DDNS to use IPv6.
-Fixed AiMesh preferred AP identification in site survey results.
-Updated timezone list for Greenland, Mexico, and Iran.
-Modified the USB application option text in dual WAN.
-Allowed WireGuard Server clients to access the Samba server.
-Fixed memory leak issue.
-Enabled the failback function when using the iOS/Android USB backup WAN.
-The ARP response issue has been resolved, along with the connection issue between the router and the ROG Phone 6 and 7.
-Resolved the issue where the USB path is not displayed on the Media Server page in the AiMesh node

Security updates:
-Enabled and supported ECDSA certificates for Let's Encrypt.
-Enhanced protection for credentials.
-Enhanced protection for OTA firmware updates.
-Fixed DoS vulnerabilities in firewall configuration pages. Thanks to Jinghe Gao's contribution.
-Fixed DoS vulerabilities in httpd. Thanks to Howard McGreehan.
-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability. Thanks to Junxu (Hillstone Network Security Research Institute) contribution.
-Fixed CVE-2023-28702 and CVE-2023-28703. Thanks to Xingyu Xu(@tmotfl) contribution.
-Fixed null pointer dereference vulnerabilities. Thanks to Chengfeng Ye, Prism Research Group - cse hkust contribution.
-Fixed the cfg server vulnerability. Thanks to Swing and Wang Duo from Chaitin Security Research Lab.
-Fixed the vulnerability in the logmessage function. Thanks to Swing and Wang Duo from Chaitin Security Research Lab C0ss4ck from Bytedance Wuheng Lab, Feixincheng from X1cT34m.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: 5975e675481949dd7a9a29e3e3cb9f3fdd1aa7e757f1fef1f4e40073dee843fe

Download link:

Haven't tried it yet, just saw it...

Last edited:
Odd... my AX3000 reports it as 3.0.0.4.388_23285, and it does not appear on the website.

Yes, but not what my router is trying to upgrade me to:

3.0.0.4.388_23285-g5068da5

nothing showing on my AX58U gui or the website. usually the update is for it is available at the same time.

edit: nevermind, it just showed up. Same firmware version.

Last edited:
FWIW- I just did a dirty upgrade via the web GUI. Everything seems to be working fine, but again- I'm not doing anything fancy (no mesh, no VPN, etc.). But I am using AI protection + a local PiHole for DNS.

The only thing that is a bit confusing is that my 5GHz radio seems to be a lot weaker than the 2.4 GHz radio. The signal is much lower (-24 dB for the 2.4 vs -42 dB for the 5 GHz.) My computer is literally 10 feet from the router right now. I think this was true on the previous version as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.08.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.08.13 AM.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 65
I noticed that since upgrading, it doesn't run script_usbmount scripts on boot anymore.

This, like the other 3.0.0.4.388.x firmwares, causes my Ring cameras (Doorbell Pro and Spotlight Cam Wired) to lose connection every few hours, requiring a router reboot for them to come back online. Even worse, the manual firmware upload capability was broken for me in this version (tried multiple browsers, computers, rebooting the router), requiring a reboot into rescue mode and using the Firmware Restoration utility in order to put back the last version that works properly for me, 3.0.0.4.386.49674.

I know everyone is just providing feedback to either help the community or to seek help themselves, but not providing details on which hardware your using in this case as there are 2 that this specific FW loads unto, makes it ambiguous.

I noticed that since upgrading, it doesn't run script_usbmount scripts on boot anymore.
I can confirm this on AX58U v2, this is major inconvenience for me because I'm connecting my Pi Zero through USB (running Pi-hole) this way.

I figured out a workaround for this though:
Also available here: https://github.com/jacklul/asuswrt-scripts/tree/master/asusware-usbmount

This procedure assumes you're not using Download Master / Asus' Optware.
If you do make sure you don't replace etc/ipkg.conf file and only append to existing files in other steps, but there is high chance firmware will overwrite them and remove those changes!

If your router is not using ARM architecture replace "arm" word with your router's architecture in steps.

- Create "asusware.arm" directory on your USB storage device

- Create empty "asusware.arm/.asusrouter" file

- Create "asusware.arm/etc/init.d" directory

- Create "asusware.arm/etc/ipkg.conf" file:
Code:
dest /opt/ /

- Create "asusware.arm/etc/init.d/S50usb-mount-script" file:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
    "start")
        logger -t "$(basename "$0")" "Executing command in \"script_usbmount\"..."
        eval "$(nvram get script_usbmount)"
    ;;
    "stop")
        logger -t "$(basename "$0")" "Executing command in \"script_usbumount\"..."
        eval "$(nvram get script_usbumount)"
    ;;
esac

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg" directory

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg/status" file:
Code:
Package: usb-mount-script
Version: 1.0.0.0
Architecture: arm
Installed-Time: 0

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg/info" directory

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg/info/usb-mount-script.control" file:
Code:
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Depends:
Suggests:
Conflicts:
Enabled: yes
Installed-Size: 1

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg/lists" directory

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg/lists/optware.asus" file:
Code:

Last edited:
I can confirm this on AX58U v2, this is major inconvenience for me because I'm connecting my Pi Zero through USB (running Pi-hole) this way.

I figured out a workaround for this though:
Also available here: https://github.com/jacklul/asuswrt-scripts/tree/master/asusware-usbmount

This procedure assumes you're not using Download Master / Asus' Optware.
If you do make sure you don't replace etc/ipkg.conf file and only append to existing files in other steps, but there is high chance firmware will overwrite them and remove those changes!

If your router is not using ARM architecture replace "arm" word with your router's architecture in steps.

- Create "asusware.arm" directory on your USB storage device

- Create empty "asusware.arm/.asusrouter" file

- Create "asusware.arm/etc/init.d" directory

- Create "asusware.arm/etc/ipkg.conf" file:
Code:
dest /opt/ /

- Create "asusware.arm/etc/init.d/S50usb-mount-script" file:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
    "start")
        logger -t "$(basename "$0")" "Executing command in \"script_usbmount\"..."
        eval "$(nvram get script_usbmount)"
    ;;
    "stop")
        logger -t "$(basename "$0")" "Executing command in \"script_usbumount\"..."
        eval "$(nvram get script_usbumount)"
    ;;
esac

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg" directory

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg/status" file:
Code:
Installed-Time: 0

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg/info" directory

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg/info/usb-mount-script.control" file:
Code:
Priority: optional
Section: libs
Depends:
Suggests:
Conflicts:
Enabled: yes
Installed-Size: 1

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg/lists" directory

- Create "asusware.arm/lib/ipkg/lists/optware.asus" file:
Code:

Assuming the disk must be ext2 or ext3? Not FAT.

Do we need to enable anything in the router UI for it to execute this?

Assuming the disk must be ext2 or ext3? Not FAT.

Do we need to enable anything in the router UI for it to execute this?
I am unsure about the format, tested only with ext2 because that's what I'm using in my script on the Pi Zero. (for clarity: Pi Zero pretends to be a mass storage device with 1MB partition containing the workaround stuff, code)

Before I figured this out I had to (obviously) install Download Master once from the Router UI, so in case my workaround doesn't work straight away you might try doing that on a spare USB and then trying again.

Last edited:
I will try this today on one router without download master and see if this works ok reboot.

No love for the TUF-AX3000 yet (viz no updated firmware).

I am surprised that new firmware isn't released at the same time given they they are nearly identical..

Took a couple days to get to this, but I can confirm on two AiMesh nodes running 3.0.0.4.388.23403, using FAT partitions (didn't bother to reformat), without installing any ASUS download manager or other tools, that this works. On reboot the script defined in "nvram get script_usbmount" gets run. I may simplify at some point and just have this script run my default script and avoid the NVRAM item.

Thank you for sharing!

Can you check to see if this method creates any new mount points? Wondering, for example, if this asusware.arm directory on the flash drive becomes a mount. If not, are these files in the lower folders getting copied to the tmp folder?

Thank you!

Can you check to see if this method creates any new mount points? Wondering, for example, if this asusware.arm directory on the flash drive becomes a mount. If not, are these files in the lower folders getting copied to the tmp folder?

Thank you!
I don't think any of this stuff is getting copied - I believe Asus scripts mount asusware.* as /tmp/opt directory making symlinks in /opt point to the correct directories for the Asus' Optware to work.
It also unmounts those when the media is ejected.

I don't think any of this stuff is getting copied - I believe Asus scripts mount asusware.* as /tmp/opt directory making symlinks in /opt point to the correct directories for the Asus' Optware to work.
It also unmounts those when the media is ejected.
Interesting. I currently do that manually so I can run entware. This may save me a step.

This release claime to fix a memory leak, so i was hopeful that it would fix the "Could not allocate requested buffers" bug I had reported with the previous firmware. But alas, NO. It happened to me 3 times today, with a complete lost of functionality until reboot. I hope ASUS will fix this at some point.

If your didn't fully and properly complete a full reset to factory defaults and then perform a minimal and manual configuration, your conclusion may not be accurate.