What's new

ASUS RT-AX3000 troubles

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kawaii

New Around Here
Hello,

I recently purchased an Asus AX3000 its great, when it works. I had no problems with it for the first 7 hours of use. I looked at the settings but really didn't touch anything after the setup wizard completed.

Wi-Fi 6 was enabled as well as 160MHz. I am currently using Wi-Fi AC. All of a sudden after 7 hours of working fine I got disconnected from discord I saw my latency go to 1600+ and my Wi-Fi disconnected I tried to reconnect but the 5GHZ band no longer displayed as an option to connect to. So far the only way I've gotten 5GHz to work again is a factory reset and then turning off Wi-Fi 6 and disabling 160MHz.

My PC is using a Intel 9560 Wi-Fi card and I am running driver 21.80.2.1 I know one of the recent intel drivers was supposed to fix Wi-Fi 6 router compatibility with the 9560 card.

My TCL smart TV cannot see the 5GHz network if the AX mode is on or 160 is selected either.

Is there a problem with my new router? It's only about a day old at this point. I don't understand why it worked fine for 7 hours and then suddenly stopped.

I do only have one Wi-Fi 6 device so far but I haven't gotten a chance to set that up yet.

So I'm just looking for a little advice before I try to contact Asus.

Thanks for any help!

Shut off 160 MHz. Only Intel AX200 supports it.
Also disable AX and see if your problems go away.
Potential compatibility problems are the reasons those disables are there. AX is still new technology and older devices may not be able to handle it.

Hi Thiggins,

It seems to work with 160MHz turned off but I still seem to have a few hiccups every now and then. I thought that the Intel 9560 supported 160MHz AC?
I just figured something was strange because it worked perfectly for 7 hours without touching any settings and then boom.

It seems to work with 160MHz turned off but I still seem to have a few hiccups every now and then. I thought that the Intel 9560 supported 160MHz AC?
Yes, you are correct. Sorry for my error.

160 MHz requires support for DFS channels. It looks like the RT-AX3000/RT-AX58U supports only DFS channels 52-64. This means for DFS, you can only set the primary channel to one from 36-64. I'd try 36 if you are going to use 160 MHz.

Note that if the router detects radar, it will immediately move to a new channel, outside DFS channels. This will cause all devices to disconnect.

So, shut off 160 MHz and choose a channel from 36-48 or 149-165.

@thiggins thanks for confirming the low numbers of channels the RT-AX3000/RT-AX58U supports (36 to 64). The one I was getting to know last week for a customer was perplexing me a little. :)

Other than that limitation, the RT-AX58U (and RMerlin) seems to be a great AX buy today. With a 2.4Gbps indicated connection in Windows, fast.com reports 970Mbps to 1Gbps download and upload on an Intel AX200 card. Didn't have two (of everything) to see if the throughput could go higher. :)

The fastest throughput speeds seem to be at just over 30' (free air), btw.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!