What's new

ASUS RT-AX55 crashing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

n85

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

Need a help to troubleshoot an issue. I have been following up with Asus support but of no help.

My wireless router RT-AX55 is crashing randomly. Even tried the same settings on a new device of the same model with the latest firmware, the issue remains the same.

Im using adaptive QOS and trend Micro feature enabled. Not sure if they are causing such crashes…. I noticed that when they are turned on the RAM usage is always at 85 or above, and when not turned on its around 65 percent! . I purchased these router for QOS and security. Currently have no clue what’s happening with the device. Attached is the crash logs for reference.

Did anyone notice this kind of issue or at least have some idea from the logs what’s happening?

firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_45934

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• text.txt
    39.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Well, the main issue seems to be the QOS causing the issue.

Secondary would be verifying the correct model / firmware is being used.

There's the mention of using EU firmware / non-EU SKU
Code:
May  5 10:35:09 ERP: The model isn't under EU SKU!
Just seems there's a mismatch that can be resolved.

There is no region specific firmware for Asus routers. The region is hard coded on the device.

Logs don't lie. Either it's being geolocated in EU or the wrong model firmware is being used.
It's not an error, it's just a standard info message. As @Tech9 said, there are no regional firmware versions.

It means your router isn't set to the EU region, so it won't need to start the power management service specific to that region. This is normal.

Reactions: n85
So I have kept Adaptive QOS turned off. And enabled Trend Micro( Memory use gone up to 80 percent). Will observe for a while and update further here if it crashes again!

Disable all TrendMicro related components and test if the router is more stable. If it is, you may have to wait for firmware update.

Reactions: n85
Well, the main issue seems to be the QOS causing the issue.

Code:
May  5 10:35:09 ERP: The model isn't under EU SKU!
Just seems there's a mismatch that can be resolved.
That message is part of all firmware versions. The firmware checks if the router bootloader is set to the EU region, in which case it will enable that EU-specific power management feature that's required by their regulations (I forgot what the name of that regulation is). If not, then it will display that message.

Asus does not release region-specific firmwares. Any feature that is tied to a certain region is automatiocally enabled/disabled as required.

So I have kept Adaptive QOS turned off. And enabled Trend Micro( Memory use gone up to 80 percent). Will observe for a while and update further here if it crashes again!
With this setup, router crashed again. So I have done the reverse. Adaptive on and TrendMicro off! Will observe.

I got a free AX55 from my ISP. It's super underpowered with just 128 flash and 256MB RAM. I found enabling anything at all -- QOS, Web History, AI protection, etc -- immediately caused no space left and out of memory errors in the log. I gave up on it and got a 86U, which is way overpowered -- 256MB flash and 1GB RAM. Now I can enable every option out there w/o issue. I made the AX55 an AIMesh node.

I got a free AX55 from my ISP. It's super underpowered with just 128 flash and 256MB RAM. I found enabling anything at all -- QOS, Web History, AI protection, etc -- immediately caused no space left and out of memory errors in the log. I gave up on it and got a 86U, which is way overpowered -- 256MB flash and 1GB RAM. Now I can enable every option out there w/o issue. I made the AX55 an AIMesh node.
Oh! So this means ax55 is not designed to be supporting what the software is capable of. That’s disappointing to know. I spoke to the technical support and they have been asking to downgrade the firmware. would you know the firmware version that you were running ?

The router is stable after disabling TrendMicro. Currently unable to judge if its a memory crunch when this feature is enabled or something else!

Disable all TrendMicro related components and test if the router is more stable. If it is, you may have to wait for firmware update.
It seems to be the case! TrendMirco component causing the crash!

The router is stable after disabling TrendMicro. Currently unable to judge if its a memory crunch when this feature is enabled or something else!
I had the most problems with the latest released firmware. I also tried the beta firmware here but had more cpu reboots inog when in aimesh config.