What's new

Asus RT-AX58U Ignores Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DavidinNevils

New Around Here
The model is RT-AX58U (no V2 or anything).

Any suggestions as to where to start looking for the solution, please?

Thanks

Describe the issue in more details, please. What firmware you start from, what firmware you upgrade to, how do you attempt firmware upgrade and what happens. Also, what else is currently running on this router and do you have any USB attached storage devices. Otherwise no one can help you.

Firmware Version: 3.0.0.4.386_45898

Administration -> Firmware Upgrade -> Manual firmware update : Upload

I had previously downloaded the Asuswrt-Merlin *.w zip and unzipped it on my laptop.

Laptop is connected via a LAN cable to the router.

There are other connections e.g. printer, a desktop PC, etc - should they all be disconnected?

The instructions I found were remarkably parsimonious in detail.

Thanks

I would remove any USB drives attached and reboot, then update to current Asuswrt first. Reset to factory defaults after, minimal configuration to get back to GUI, Asuswrt-Merlin attempt again. After successful update to Asuswrt-Merlin - factory default reset one more time and manual configuration. AX58U is quirky and I personally don't like this model. It needs special treatment sometimes.

Forum refused my reply from my phone. Sigh. Anyhow ...
Disconnected everything but Internet -> Rebooted -> Ran stock Asus Firmware update -> Rebooted. All looked OK.
Reconnected cables and tested - all looked stable. Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_49674-ge182230
Disconnected all cables, including Internet - "Manual firmware update : Upload" for Asuswrt-Merlin "FW_RT_AX58U_300438649674.w" - it said to "Please wait. Applying settings."
After over 10 minutes and no change I Rebooted - and there was no sign of Asuswrt-Merlin.
I'm guessing that I missed a step, somewhere ...

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'd downloaded both but unzipped the wrong one. Got it right and it loaded up fine.
I learned that my ISP doesn't use a traditional login for a static ip and uses DHCP and just always assigns the same IP.
Haven't had a chance to explore unique settings in Merlin.
Thanks to all who make this available!

Hey guys, I have the sam issue. I am running stock Asus firmware - latest one:
1667999041186.png

So, I downloaded latest merlin frimware (RT-AX58U_386.7_2_cferom_puresqubi) but ,when i choose this file, I only get this message below:

1667999019475.png

In the mean time router reboots and that's it.

I tried reset, factory reset, hard reset...

Isn't this supposed to be straight forward process? :( or am i missing something :/

Thanks for any advice

Oh, well...It is :(

So what does it mean? That in near future, this V2 model will eventually be supported, or this is it? :)

There are currently no plans to support V2, sorry.