What's new

Asus RT-AX58U (Merlin Firmware)

• Thread starter Deleted member 22229
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 22229

Just got my hands on this small form factor AX router. Updated to the latest Asus firmware reset and configured. So far this thing works great full speeds (300/300) and same signal levels as my AC3100.

But the big question should I decide to keep this router will Merlin ever support it ?? :)

Just got my hands on this small form factor AX router. Updated to the latest Asus firmware reset and configured. So far this thing works great full speeds (300/300) and same signal levels as my AC3100.

But the big question should I decide to keep this router will Merlin ever support it ?? :)
The form factor would suggest that the unit is built from different components. I know that the developer will not entertain models that will require a whole separate development method or that these units are infrequently updated, leading to further development nightmares. The developer of this project is doing this in his spare time. Usually if it could be supported it would be supported, so I'm leaning towards him not supporting this model, sorry.

With all due respect that's a bold statement since you really have no clue what Merlin intends to do. That said even if he does not support the AX58U that's fine. In my testing tonight it works every bit as good as my AC3100 in every way. For the price of $0.00 dollars that I paid for it, I think I will use this for awhile considering I have a new Galaxy s10 AX ready coming very soon. :D

With all due respect that's a bold statement since you really have no clue what Merlin intends to do. That said even if he does not support the AX58U that's fine. In my testing tonight it works every bit as good as my AC3100 in every way. For the price of $0.00 dollars that I paid for it, I think I will use this for awhile considering I have a new Galaxy s10 AX ready coming very soon. :D
The statement is only bold in that several other models are not supported either. Some have even been dropped. @RMerlin can definitely fill in the information I haven't heard, many times this question is asked, I must admit this model hasn't been asked about that I know of. I just thought I could give you some insight. No offence.

Oh and one more thing, more and more of the firmware is becoming closed source. This adds to the difficulty.

The statement is only bold in that several other models are not supported either. Some have even been dropped. @RMerlin can definitely fill in the information I haven't heard, many times this question is asked, I must admit this model hasn't been asked about that I know of. I just thought I could give you some insight. No offence.

No worries i respect your opinion. I guess one can only hope Merlin decides to support. It uses the 384 code and the GUi is similar to the AX88. And more importantly i was very suprised how well it works.

No worries i respect your opinion. I guess one can only hope Merlin decides to support. It uses the 384 code and the GUi is similar to the AX88. And more importantly i was very suprised how well it works.
WiFi 6 is great stuff coming soon, these AX models rock. IIRC I think the AX11000 will not be supported, same reasons.

WiFi 6 is great stuff coming soon, these AX models rock. IIRC I think the AX11000 will not be supported, same reasons.

Maybe Eric will post here and we can learn some more on this subject. Thank you for your thoughts..

I'd say "no" because it's based on Intel hardware.
https://web.archive.org/web/20191030154325/https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AX58U
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...tel-based-2x2-dual-band-wi-fi-6-router.54373/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/
Q: Will you support the RT-xxxxxx that was just announced?
A: How do I know if that model isn't even on the market yet... If it's not Broadcom based, then that's a definitive "no". If it's Broadcom-based, then the answer is: "I don't know yet, wait until I can at least get one to look at it".

Ahh Yes then maybe i am stuck with stock code. Thats ok i didnt pay any money out of my pocket and as i said it works very good so im happy.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!