1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Asus RT-AX58U (Merlin Firmware)

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Kal-EL, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Kal-EL

Kal-EL Very Senior Member

Just got my hands on this small form factor AX router. Updated to the latest Asus firmware reset and configured. So far this thing works great full speeds (300/300) and same signal levels as my AC3100.

But the big question should I decide to keep this router will Merlin ever support it ?? :)

Vexira likes this.
  2. skeal

skeal Part of the Furniture

The form factor would suggest that the unit is built from different components. I know that the developer will not entertain models that will require a whole separate development method or that these units are infrequently updated, leading to further development nightmares. The developer of this project is doing this in his spare time. Usually if it could be supported it would be supported, so I'm leaning towards him not supporting this model, sorry.

Vexira likes this.
  3. Kal-EL

With all due respect that's a bold statement since you really have no clue what Merlin intends to do. That said even if he does not support the AX58U that's fine. In my testing tonight it works every bit as good as my AC3100 in every way. For the price of $0.00 dollars that I paid for it, I think I will use this for awhile considering I have a new Galaxy s10 AX ready coming very soon. :D

4. skeal

The statement is only bold in that several other models are not supported either. Some have even been dropped. @RMerlin can definitely fill in the information I haven't heard, many times this question is asked, I must admit this model hasn't been asked about that I know of. I just thought I could give you some insight. No offence.

5. skeal

Oh and one more thing, more and more of the firmware is becoming closed source. This adds to the difficulty.

6. Kal-EL

No worries i respect your opinion. I guess one can only hope Merlin decides to support. It uses the 384 code and the GUi is similar to the AX88. And more importantly i was very suprised how well it works.

7. skeal

WiFi 6 is great stuff coming soon, these AX models rock. IIRC I think the AX11000 will not be supported, same reasons.

8. Kal-EL

Maybe Eric will post here and we can learn some more on this subject. Thank you for your thoughts..

skeal likes this.
  9. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

I'd say "no" because it's based on Intel hardware.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20191030154325/https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_RT-AX58U
    https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...tel-based-2x2-dual-band-wi-fi-6-router.54373/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-read-me-first-before-posting-a-question.47153/

Makaveli likes this.
  10. Kal-EL

Ahh Yes then maybe i am stuck with stock code. Thats ok i didnt pay any money out of my pocket and as i said it works very good so im happy.

11. Mutzli

Mutzli Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Makaveli likes this.