ASUS RT-AX68U vs RT-AC68U. Worth the Upgrade?

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

bengalih

Regular Contributor
I see posts comparing the 86 to the 68, but nothing that directly compares the RT-AX68U to the ASUS RT-AC68U.

I have the AC right now and wondering if it is worth the upgrade for $160.

My main desires right now are for faster ISP throughput (since I can't maximize my 1GB fiber), and for some beefier CPU for handling nginx and other amtm stuff.
I likely won't be upgrading my client wifi for a while, so not sure my throughput there matters much and I am not in a congested area.

I'll be running Merlin of course, so basic router functionality should be the same. Unless there is something I gain (or lose?) by going to the HND platform models(?)

Thoughts?

heysoundude

Very Senior Member
the ac68 is still a solid machine, even though it's in the sunset of its life as far as asus is concerned
If youve had it for 5+ years, you're due the upgrade that'll put you ahead of your client devices, but those get updated more frequently in most cases.
More RAM and more capable CPU will definitely open whatever speed bottleneck you're experiencing...
a better upgrade would be the AX86, if you're willing to go deeper into the bank account.

Adooni

try to setup AC68U as below and check internet speed

Code:
QoS off

LAN - Switch Control
Enable Jumbo Frame - Disable
NAT Acceleration - Auto (it shows CTF is enabled)
Spanning-Tree Protocol - Disable

Tools - Other settings
Memory Management - Yes
Firewall - No
Wan - No
Disable AsusNAT tunnel - Yes

if AC68U meet year needs I do not see point to change it. It is no problem if router is 5y old. I have one Asus WL500-W from 2006 working and is enough for what is doing. If for any reason your AC68U will R.I.P you will buy new router.

BobD

Regular Contributor
Going to the AX68U will see you catch up. If you want to future proof (if that's even possible) then dig deeper and get the AX86U.

heysoundude

Very Senior Member
Going to the AX68U will see you catch up. If you want to future proof (if that's even possible) then dig deeper and get the AX86U.
its a game of leapfrog for radios on devices and routers by design - to keep you spending money on the latest and greatest to get the most functionality out of each.

bengalih

Regular Contributor
try to setup AC68U as below and check internet speed

Code:
QoS off

LAN - Switch Control
Enable Jumbo Frame - Disable
NAT Acceleration - Auto (it shows CTF is enabled)
Spanning-Tree Protocol - Disable

Tools - Other settings
Memory Management - Yes
Firewall - No
Wan - No
Disable AsusNAT tunnel - Yes

if AC68U meet year needs I do not see point to change it. It is no problem if router is 5y old. I have one Asus WL500-W from 2006 working and is enough for what is doing. If for any reason your AC68U will R.I.P you will buy new router.
Yes I have all those configured already. Still, I can't get as fast as I can with the ISP router (by ~200 Mbps). It isn't a huge issue as 700-800 Mbps for my wired devices is usually plenty fast for my needs. My bigger problems seem to be when serving content over nginx the router gets taxed having to proxy the https.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!