What's new

Asus RT-AX82U Connection Drop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Volern

New Around Here
Several times a day, almost every day since I got the router, the internet connection is dropped network wide for 1 to 2 minutes. Looking online some people think it may be a DHCP issue.

When I say the connection is dropped, all devices stay connected, and get less than 1 Kb/s download speed. I also use a windows 10 remote host connection from 1 pc to another on the same network, which does not get dropped when the internet connection drops. So interconnected devices to the router stay connected and work fine, but the speed is so slow everything stops loading. After loading the router admin page and waiting 1 or 2 minutes the connection comes back on its own.

I have attached the log from the router for reference. The same few lines keep showing up in the log, and always show up right after the internet connection comes back. Those lines are as follows. This specific incident on these lines are the connection dropping 3 times in a row. Each time was right after loading a webpage. This specific incident is loading ee.co.uk, which I need for work. I also have it when starting a download on uTorrent very often, nearly every time a download is started on the program. Another one random case of it happening a lot is running my windows 10 remote host, and having the game Rust going at the same time. It would drop the connection for maybe 20 seconds and kill my remote connection, at which point it the internet connection comes back. I figured that was a one off thing with Rust specifically.

Apr 6 12:37:23 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 c03f6c5
Apr 6 12:37:23 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.20
Apr 6 12:37:23 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192
Apr 6 12:37:23 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Apr 6 12:40:57 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Apr 6 12:40:58 BWDPI: rollback fc

These few lines show up every time the connection drops and comes back.

I have the 3.0.0.4.386_41700-gb567bc9 firmware version. I tried manually installing an FC version from 2019 and it still happened as well, I then updated it back to the current version again. I have reset the router 3 times trying to fix it to no avail. I have turned off pretty much every extra feature I can find trying to see if that would fix it, again to no avail.

Normally the connection is fine, but every once in a while loading some pages or programs makes it drop immediately. Some times like today, it is dropping randomly all day. It has dropped 6 times in 2 hours today.

If there are some setting I need to look for or some firmware version I can try to fix it that would be amazing. I haven't tried flashing my own firmware on it apart from the older version, so if I need to try that I can give it a go, though I have no clue how to do that currently, and don't want to mess it up without help.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    441.6 KB · Views: 135
Apr 6 12:37:23 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 c03f6c5
Apr 6 12:37:23 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.20
Apr 6 12:37:23 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192
Apr 6 12:37:23 BWDPI: fun bitmap = 3
Apr 6 12:40:57 BWDPI: force to flush flowcache entries
Apr 6 12:40:58 BWDPI: rollback fc

These few lines show up every time the connection drops and comes back.
Apart from these messages on 6th April I can't see any other occurrences of them since the beginning of your log on 26th March.

The only recurring message that I can see (ignoring all the WiFi ones) is for a wired connection to the router switching between 10 and 1000 Mbps. I'm assuming that's a device going in and out of standby, but if not it could indicate a faulty Ethernet cable. Replace the Ethernet cable.

Log into your Virgin Media Hub and check the Network Log for suspicious error messages around the time you have problems.

I can try that. The reason it doesnt show in the logs again is because for whatever reason I hadn't had the issue for about 2 weeks, as I haven't downloaded anything in a while, but before then I was downloading stuff every other day and the internet drops would keep happening. The ethernet cable thing is a bit odd to me, as every device experiences the drop, wireless and wired. Could possibly be the included ethernet between the modem and router, or the router is having a hiccup from the speed switching.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!