What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U link port down/up repeatedly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mushisguy

Occasional Visitor
Hi everybody. I come here cause i need some help with my router. I bought an ASUS rt-ax86u 1 month ago. I noticed when my dad computer is linked on lan port of the router, the wan port (my 2.5g) goes off /up for 5 sec like every 5 min . i tried a full morning without my dad pc linked on the router and no issue appeared.
If someone could enlighten me on this subject. My temporary solution is to link my father's computer directly to ISP router , and only keep asus router for the wifi 6 mode. Others devices are all conneected to router by wifi btw.
Attached the syslog.txt of one of the worst days of my internal network

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    371.6 KB · Views: 187
@mushisguy welcome to the forums.

Have you tried/tested with a different brand and quality Cat5e or better cable?

Between both your dad's PC and between the routers 2.5GbE WAN Port and modem/ONT.

Is your dad's PC a laptop or desktop? Can you test by doing a 'full shutdown' by holding down the Shift key and clicking on 'Shut down' in the Power options, then after a minute or two, turning it back on?

Does the PC have the latest drivers available for your NIC?

Thx for the answer, i gonna test with a new rj45 cat 6 cable from Amazon ,if i still get the issue i will check the NIC drivers . Otherwise i will keep linking the computer on 1gb ISP box port and let the asus router on 2.5 gb one . Sorry for my english.

Your English is great, I hope this will fix the issue for you. :)

I updated NIC driver of the computer. Nothing changed. So i did my second solution with a new Rj45 (Cat6° for my router and kept the 5e one for the dad computer and the "IMP port grouping" error msg dis appeared again like every 2 minutes.

The msg before disconnection is :

May 5 07:05:07 kernel: NOTE: Using Port Grouping for IMP ports : [ 0 --> 4 ] [ 1, 2 --> 5 ] [ 3, 7 --> 8 ]
port down
May 5 07:05:07 kernel: NOTE: Using Port Grouping for IMP ports : [ 0 --> 4 ] [ 1, 2 --> 5 ] [ 3, 7 --> 8 ]
port up.
It last 5 sec on average.

So i did a reset factory and a new network configuration. I will tell u how it goes on.
Have a good day cheers.

Since the reset done i encountered like 4 dc times. There is my syslog

Attachments

• syslog (2).txt
    182.3 KB · Views: 151
i still get disconnection issue with the same error msg (IMP port grouping) link down.

Attachments

• syslog (3).txt
    339.9 KB · Views: 150
Are you using the 2.5 port for the primary WAN?
If so you want to set it that way.
WAN > Dual WAN

Screenshot 2021-02-16 093434.jpg

Hi KevTech , so i have to enable dual WAN just ? What does it do ? Thx for ur contribution btw.
Because i have only a primary Wan which linked on 2;5gb port , i haven't secondary wan.

Leave dual WAN disabled and change primary to the 2.5 like my picture shows.
It will change the primary WAN from the 1g port to the 2.5g.

Oh ok sir i get it. Theses parameters were already set by default like u showed. So i looked for ISP modems issue and it apperas some users get micro failure on thier LAN , they noticed it playing video games like me. So i guess it s kinda an aut negocation issue between my box and the Asus router. I forced 2.5gb output on ISP modem side. If problem persist i will force on 1 gb.
I'll keep you posted on the progress of the failure. Good night.

HI everyes ISP box had some NIC hardware Issues . I ve seen forum where customers of the same ISP than mine complain about this micro failure while playinone, it provg video games. I won't pay anymore for this. Next week i will get a new provider.

But i would like to know what this information means :
May 5 07:05:12 kernel: NOTE: Using Port Grouping for IMP ports : [ 0 --> 4 ] [ 1, 2 --> 5 ] [ 3, 7 --> 8 ]
i have this line every time i get micro failure ( at disconnection and reconnection)

If you have tried all the suggestions above, I would be returning/exchanging it for a different unit.

Your issues are not normal. That is why there are no more suggestions to try at this time.

If you want to do one more test, see if the following gets your router/network back to a stable and good/known state.

First, flash the firmware you want to use to the router (again, if it is the same).

I would suggest the 386.2 Alpha build (at least as a test to fix your issues).

Download | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

From the link above: Pre-beta test builds (occasionally available, hosted on Onedrive)

Then, follow the steps in the link below. If the issues persist, return/exchange the router as I would be inclined to believe it is a hardware issue at this point.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!