What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U Merlin 386.4 OpenVPN trouble - interruptions - only one client works at a time...?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JohnBull

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
Posted in general VPN forum, but saw now "Use this forum for posts about all versions of this alternative firmware for ASUS wireless routers". Can't find a way to move a thread, so I hope I don't break any rules double posting, but I think this might a better sub-forum

I swapped my old RT-n66u that has been running Merlin firmware for years with two OpenVPN servers (TUN+TAP) and been highly reliably.

I installed a RT-AX86U and flashed Merlin 386.4, made a factory reset and configured everything from scratch and all seamed to work.
Today when I'm away and using my VPN servers I get interruptions all the time. Sometimes it works for <1 min and stops. If I disconnect and reconnect it looks to come back.
I'm connected with one win10 PC and one Android phone.

I have tried:
- disconnect one of the clients and then the other looks to work (only tried for 3-5 minutes, but ok for that time)
- connect both to Server1=TUN and only one of them works. If I disconnect one the other looks to work.
- connect Android to Server1=TUN and PC to Server2=TAP and only one works. If I disconnect one the other looks to work
- create separate users for Android and PC - no difference

When I run a speed test from the Android (WiFiman) it shows >10Mbit bot ways over and over again (only Android connected...)

I have uninstalled the OpenVPN connect app on the phone, restarted it, re-installed and re-configured. No difference.

Can't find any settings regarding number of simultaneous connections

Anyone seen something like this or have any ideas?

Update 18 minutes later:
Started listen to streamed music from Android device and it worked perfect for 15 minutes. Tried to browse the internet and it worked as well.
Connected PC to same VPNserver (TUN) and PC worked. Android could no longer browse the internet (music continued - probably buffered). Disconnected PC and Android could browse the internet again.

Best OpenVPN client for Android is Openvpn for Android by Arne Schwabe. Asus Instantguard also works well on Android and can be run with OpenVPN server running. May be a fix for your issue.
You should also be able to have multiple connections to an OpenVPN server on an Asus router. No real need to run two servers.

Best OpenVPN client for Android is Openvpn for Android by Arne Schwabe. Asus Instantguard also works well on Android and can be run with OpenVPN server running. May be a fix for your issue.
You should also be able to have multiple connections to an OpenVPN server on an Asus router. No real need to run two servers.
The reason for having two servers is to be able have one TUN and one TAP.
I want the ability of TAP for complete LAN access from PC. Unfortunately Android doesn't look to be able to handle TAP without root.
I'm not sure it's the client that is the problem. I have never seen this with my old n66u with the same clients running the same openvpn software

Edit: I'll se if I get some time to try that alternative OpenVPN client tomorrow. Is there another good option for Windows as well?

Last edited:
Tried the Openvpn for Android by Arne Schwabe app now during my lunch, with the same config file I have used for Open VPN connect.
It connected, but I could not get any traffic through at all. Just tried with all app settings default.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!