What's new

asus rt-ax86u pro slow speed after updating to merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gotenks121

Occasional Visitor
hi
i have just bough this router,
i ran speed test just before updating to merlin and i was getting 800-900mb speeds.
after updating to merlin - no changes made apart from updating to merlin, im getting speed of 100-200 max.
any help would be appreciated.

This is a common diagnostic question, but did you factory reset after flashing Merlin's firmware? Which version?

Ps why would I need to factory reset. The router is brand new. Opened today

Also. Is this a reset from within the firmware or do I have to press the button on the back of the router and a 30/30/30 as with ddwrt?

Last edited:
When flashing between stock Asus and RMerlin firmware, particularly when there are glitches (as you're seeing) or when you want to properly troubleshoot and/or not see those glitches in the first place (or, at least eliminate any cross-firmware interactions in the first place), a reset to factory defaults is highly recommended.

Doesn't matter if it is brand new out of the box or not.

Use the link below to use the WPS Button method needed for your router.

Or, to more fully reset the router (if needed), see the following links too.

Be sure to not restore a saved backup config file. Perform a minimal and manual configuration and proceed slowly from there. Also, note that there are some options that are 'sticky' and don't return the router to the state it was before when they are toggled on/off past their defaults. Another full reset is the fastest way at this point to get the router to a good/known state and/or to begin a stable troubleshooting session.

Ps I’ve just done a speed check just now and I’m getting 700mb, would it still be worth resetting using wps method. Not sure if this is a intermittent issue.

Do you notice any issues when you're not doing speed tests?

Myself, I would perform a full reset and a minimal and manual config.

But at the same time, if you're not having issues, don't go looking for problems to fix for no reason.

How valuable is your time? How dependent are you on your online connection?

Myself, I'd rather spend the 15 minutes or so to know the setup is done properly, rather than second guess every glitch the ISP, environment, or devices/drivers may throw at the network until I do fully reset it (if for nothing else, to perform good troubleshooting).

Do you notice any issues when you're not doing speed tests?

Myself, I would perform a full reset and a minimal and manual config.

But at the same time, if you're not having issues, don't go looking for problems to fix for no reason.

How valuable is your time? How dependent are you on your online connection?

Myself, I'd rather spend the 15 minutes or so to know the setup is done properly, rather than second guess every glitch the ISP, environment, or devices/drivers may throw at the network until I do fully reset it (if for nothing else, to perform good troubleshooting).
Thanks thats good advice
I think I’ll do a full reset wps as you’ve said above and hopefully let the rest be.

One thing I’ve noticed is that upnp is enabled by default. Is it ok to disable that after the reset?

Depends on why you want/need to disable it. Any specific reason?

And, it may not be enabled by default after the full reset. ;)