Asus RT-AX86U VPN - Slow with StarVPN

JamesJeffries

New Around Here
Not that technical, so excuse me in advance.

Using an Asus RT-AX86U with latest version of Merlin (386.7)

I am using OpenVPN via StarVPN, a residential VPN provider.

Regular ISP speed is around 90 mbps without VPN.

I installed OpenVPN on my MacBook and iPhone (without using the router-VPN setup) and got around 40 mbps (worse than standard ISP speed, but still adequate for me and am able to do my work)

However, when running the VPN on the ASUS router I receive very slow speeds (7 mbps)

90 MBPS (Regular ISP) ---> 40 MBPS (OpenVPN on MacBook/iPhone) ---> 7 MBPS (OpenVPN on Asus RT-AX86U router)

What could I be doing wrong?

StarVPN Technical Support was able to connect to my designated global access point (Turkey) and then to the servers I've been trying to connect to (Virginia & California, USA) and they get 40 MBPS, so all the evidence is pointing to the VPN-router setup, or the router itself.

I previously tried a GL AR750S Ext Slate router, and had the same exact speeds/issue, which is why I bought this Asus RT-AX86U.

Screenshots shared below (VPN is turned on) -

1656256011002.png

1656256037494.png

1656256065757.png

1656256569805.png

1656256751038.png

eibgrad

Part of the Furniture
That kind of performance w/ OpenVPN on the RT-AX86U is definitely NOT normal. That router is more than capable of 200Mbps w/ the VPN, and perhaps more.

I don't know how much this is playing a role, if at all, but I see your ASUS router's WAN is *private* (192.168.70.133), which tells me your ISP device is actually a combo modem+router, and thus hosting it's own IP network and managing the public IP. Ideally, you would configure the ISP device for bridging so your own ASUS router got the public IP. It would also bypass any ISP hosted features on his router (NAT, firewall, QoS, etc.) that *might* be dragging down your performance.

JamesJeffries

New Around Here
That kind of performance w/ OpenVPN on the RT-AX86U is definitely NOT normal. That router is more than capable of 200Mbps w/ the VPN, and perhaps more.

I don't know how much this is playing a role, if at all, but I see your ASUS router's WAN is *private* (192.168.70.133), which tells me your ISP device is actually a combo modem+router, and thus hosting it's own IP network and managing the public IP. Ideally, you would configure the ISP device for bridging so your own ASUS router got the public IP. It would also bypass any ISP hosted features on his router (NAT, firewall, QoS, etc.) that *might* be dragging down your performance.

Thanks for this information.

However, when using my MacBook/iPhone via the OpenVPN application (not installing the VPN on the ASUS router itself), I get 40 mpbs (much better speeds).

If the ISP modem/router combo were the issue, why would I be getting good speeds when using the OpenVPN application on my MacBook/iPhone?

eibgrad

Part of the Furniture
Thanks for this information.

However, when using my MacBook/iPhone via the OpenVPN application (not installing the VPN on the ASUS router itself), I get 40 mpbs (much better speeds).

If the ISP modem/router combo were the issue, why would I be getting good speeds when using the OpenVPN application on my MacBook/iPhone?

As I said, I'm NOT actually convinced it is a problem. But there wasn't much else that could explain any differences, at least not based on what little I know about your configuration. 7Mbps isn't just slow, it's ridiculously slow, as if something is interfering w/ the VPN client on the router. But I'm stumped as to what that could be. I thought maybe the issue is upstream on the ISP's modem+router, and by using bridge mode, you'd take his IP network out of the picture. But that's pure just speculation. I just don't have any better ideas at the moment.

eibgrad

Part of the Furniture
Check the syslog for the router to see if there's anything unusual, esp. wrt openvpn messages.

Code:
grep openvpn /tmp/syslog.log

Tech Junky

Very Senior Member
I see your ASUS router's WAN is *private* (192.168.70.133), which tells me your ISP device is actually a combo modem+router, and thus hosting it's own IP network
Doesn't make as much of a difference these days as it used to in the past.

I switched to TMHI and the gateway doesn't have a bridge mode as of the current FW that's running on it and there are definitely some quirks to it to say the least but, I'm getting full speeds even with a crappy NAT scenario using Nord / WG.

IPV6 <v6>v4> TMHI <v4> NAT <v4> NAT <v4> Nord

The VPN cuts through all of the BS in the path out to the real world and bypassing the cluster F of routing within TM as there's about 4-5 hops that are obfuscated by Ipv6 translations before hitting their edge and then exiting to the public IP space.

7mbps though is a bit of an issue for the OP. 40 vs 7 usually seems to point to the CPU / NAT / TrenMicro on the router being turned on causing a resource issue then again OVPN is notoriously slow to begin with. It's hitting about 50% of bandwidth which is to be expected on the PC / Phone.

I would start with a traceroute comparing no VPN and w/ VPN to see where the traffic path starts introducing latency. If it's still within S-VPN then connecting to a different server should resolve the issue but, if it's outside of S-VPN and introduced say by a government device in the path for censorship / filtering purposes it might be overloaded and bogging down the connection.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!