What's new

Asus RT-AX86U with Centurylink Fiber

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mogulman

Regular Contributor
Got Quantum Fiber (aka Centurylink) fiber installed today. Came with a C4000XG Geenwave Wireless Router. Seemed ok, but I have 2 RT-AZ86Us.

Disconnected the Centurylink router and initially Couldn't get my Asus router working with the service.

I read about getting a PPOE password and also setting up Vlan 201 under IPTV settings on the Asus router.. I went into the admin of the Centurylink provided router and saw that it's internet service said IPOE and Tagged. So I'm assuming there was some kind of tagging/vlan tagging that needed to happen.

When I went into the vlan settings, there was a setting for Centurylink rather than Manual/VLAN 201. I tried it and it seemed to work. Is that Centurylink setting the same thing as VLAN 201? I can't find any documentation on this.

I didn't need to put in any other PPOE settings.

Attachments

• Image 001.jpg
    Image 001.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 273
You don't have to work out why it works, because when it does, the profile is clearly compliant with your ISP's standards.
Well...ok then :) I don't have to, but it would be interesting to know if it's the same thing.

You should have told the installer you wanted to use your own router. For some odd reason they call their router a modem but if there is Ethernet cable connected to the WAN port it is just a router and the Optical Network Terminator (ONT) is located outside your residence. I told them I wanted to use my own router and I was not offered one of their crappy devices. I also did not have to worry about PPPOE as my router gets an IP address when I plug it in. CenturyLink/Quantum does have different requirements in different areas.

Yeah. I did. He gave me a router and his worked. So I let him go. Figured I just had to tweak something in my router.

I tried mine while he was here and it didn't work until I made that vlan setting change after he left..

I'm not using their router now. Just plugged directly into the ONT.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!