What's new

Asus RT-AX86U with Wireguard VPN.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cream

Occasional Visitor
Hi, now that my Asus RT-AX86U supports Wireguard VPN I am looking to try it out. From looking around Nord VPN seems a good choice as they support wireguard and they 'say' they have the fastest speeds and the most worldwide servers. I am on a 1gbps download fibre line and am wondering what kind of speeds I would get? And does ther geo location really work, like watching Netflix/ Prime Video in the USA and other countries? Thanks for any feedback!

Hi, now that my Asus RT-AX86U supports Wireguard VPN I am looking to try it out. From looking around Nord VPN seems a good choice as they support wireguard and they 'say' they have the fastest speeds and the most worldwide servers. I am on a 1gbps download fibre line and am wondering what kind of speeds I would get? And does ther geo location really work, like watching Netflix/ Prime Video in the USA and other countries? Thanks for any feedback!
I reach 350 Mbit/s on my RT-AX86U on a 500 Mbit connection, using Wireguard Session Manager on Asus WRTMerlin.
I've tried geo location connecting to UK and AirVPN and yes, it works. I'm in Spain.
Regards,

I reach 350 Mbit/s on my RT-AX86U on a 500 Mbit connection, using Wireguard Session Manager on Asus WRTMerlin.
I've tried geo location connecting to UK and AirVPN and yes, it works. I'm in Spain.
Regards,
I wonder what speed you would get on a 1gbps connection?

I don't know, I never tried.
I think I've read in this forum that RT-AX86U peak under Wireguard is about 350 Mbit/s, due to the problem of compatibility that Wireguard has with HW acceleration on this router.
I don't want to waste my money on a Gbit connection that I'm not going to get the maximum benefit from.

Last edited:
I don't know, I never tried.
I think I've read in this forum that RT-AX86U peak under Wireguard is about 350 Mbit/s, due to the problem of compatibility that Wireguard has with HW acceleration on this router.
I don't want to waste my money on a Gbit connection that I'm not going to get the maximum benefit from.
Yeah, 350 would be really waste the rest of your bandwidth, if it was even around the 750 mark that would be a good connection. I thought the AX86U could do these speeds on wirwguard, maybe I am confused that I saw it somewhere on a forum :(

The same.
I thought the AX86U could do these speeds on wirwguard
The speed is limited by the router's CPU. Depending on your setup Wireguard Client can get close to 500 Mbps on RT-AX86U Pro (or RT-AX88U Pro or GT-AX6000 etc.). On RT-AX86U (non Pro) it will be less, maybe around 400 Mbps.
problem of compatibility that Wireguard has with HW acceleration
Solved.

I contacted Nord VPN and they said they don't support Wireguard on routers, again they said they are working on it for the future but is there any isp that does support wireguard on routers with decent speeds and good geo location?

Why are you routing all your traffic through a VPN?
If you live in a free, democratic country services like NordVPN don't really provide any additional security in a home environment.

Its for geo location mainly, I live in Ireland and want to watch USA Netflix - I pay for my Netflix subscription and Amazon Prime Video unless I am in the UK I cant watch any of the videos offered - I pay for Prime Video and the speed is needed to watch in 4k...

To watch a Netflix/Amazon Prime Video movie in 4k you need a connection speed of around 25-30 Mbps (not 500 Mbps). FHD mowie: 8-10 Mbps.

Ahh, try to watch a true blueray ripped 4k movie ripped at 70 gigs at 25-30 mbps, you might change yore mind.

Nextfile and Amazon are in 4k but I subscribe to an plex server that dosent downgrade blueray 4k rips..

I subscribe to an plex server that dosent downgrade blueray 4k rips
Do you need to change your location for this?
Nextfile and Amazon are in 4k
Earlier you talked about changing the location for Netflix and Amazon. So about for it 25-30 Mbps with VPN is enough.

The Plex server is in the USA with a backup in UK...they advise at 500mb to 1gb connection...just thought wireguard was next gen with speed..

Really? The problem of Wireguard and flow cache has been solved? Can you tell me please how can I enable flow cache and wireguard client too?

Last edited:
I contacted Nord VPN and they said they don't support Wireguard on routers, again they said they are working on it for the future but is there any isp that does support wireguard on routers with decent speeds and good geo location?
My VPN supplier is AirVPN https://airvpn.org/. They have servers all around the world and they support wireguard on Asus routers.

The problem of Wireguard and flow cache has been solved?
This seems to have been fixed in 388.2. See: