What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U Zaku II

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vandreal

New Around Here
Okay, so this might be a little superficial of me to ask one of these questions, but I figured I'd give it a try. First of all, I have one of the above mentioned routers and I really like the aesthetics of the router in both the hardware and the software (GUI). One thing I've come across that has been mentioned is that the inherent software for this router is not the best for performance through-put. I've seen some mentions of "bufferbloat" or bloated software, etc. Is that a thing? Can the manufacturer software really strangle performance out of my connection? Also, if I were to upgrade/update my software with "Merlin" would that solve a lot of those kinds of issues?
Last question (this is the superficial one): If I were to use "Merlin" is there any way I could keep the background currently in use by my router? Referenced image for example.

Attachments

• ASUS RT-AX86U Splash.png
    ASUS RT-AX86U Splash.png
    218.5 KB · Views: 26
Some of the AiProtection functions can restrict the maximum throughput of the router because of the CPU overhead required for the packet inspection. This is usually only a problem if you have a very fast internet connection (e.g. > 800Mbps).

"bufferbloat" is not the same as bloated software. Bufferbloat is an issue that can occur on certain ISP connections. It can sometimes be mitigated to a degree by using QoS on the router.

If you're not suffering from either of those problems then obviously changing to Merlin's firmware won't make any difference. Even if you were to change to Merlin's firmware the AiProtection functions would be identical. There are a few more options with QoS though.

Last edited:
Some of the AiProtection functions can restrict the maximum throughput of the router because of the CPU overhead required for the packet inspection. This is usually only a problem if you have a very fast internet connect (e.g. > 800Mbps).

"bufferbloat" is not the same as bloated software. Bufferbloat is an issue that can occur on certain ISP connections. It can sometimes be mitigated to a degree by using QoS on the router.

If you're not suffering from either of those problems then obviously changing to Merlin's firmware won't make any difference. Even if you were to change to Merlin's firmware the AiProtection functions would be identical. There are a few more options with QoS though.
My isp is a line-of-sight based provider. They also really like to say I'm getting my full bandwidth, but that is based on a multi-thread aggregate scoring.

My isp is a line-of-sight based provider. They also really like to say I'm getting my full bandwidth, but that is based on a multi-thread aggregate scoring.
Line of sight provider...had to look that one up! You must be really rural in flat land?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!