What's new

Asus RT-AX88 vs Asus RT-AC86+switch? And if AC86, which Switch? I got an Asus RT-AX88!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bamsefar

So I basically do not need the performance of the AX88, but I do need the extra Ethernet ports. Currently I have a AC88, which seems to fail port 5-8 from time to time - I have not found a solution on that.

So either I go AX88, or I go AC86 plus a switch. Any thoughts on what route to choose? And what switch in that case (I don't need more than 6 ports in total currently, but I guess a total of 8 would be nice-to-have)?

Yes I know, I could go switch to my current AC88 - however one thing I do keep track on is electric power usage, so this is where the AC86 comes in :)

Go for a switch instead, it will provide more flexibility, and more ports.

An inexpensive TP-Link 5 ports or 8 ports would do the job. These are pretty green as well, so power usage will remain low.

Why dont use your AC88U only as switch for next time (turned off Wifi) to extend 86U (you will need only the 4 good ports on it).
Maybe in 2 years or little more you would like to get 2,5/5/10G port switch (and router) when they become cheap.

Why dont use your AC88U only as switch for next time (turned off Wifi) to extend 86U (you will need only the 4 good ports on it).
Maybe in 2 years or little more you would like to get 2,5/5/10G port switch (and router) when they become cheap.

In my mind that would be to go in the wrong direction regarding electric power usage. I would rather just get a switch to my AC88, it is for sure a lot cheaper.

In my mind that would be to go in the wrong direction regarding electric power usage. I would rather just get a switch to my AC88, it is for sure a lot cheaper.

How much difference can power usage be? $5 or $10 a year? :)

That would pay for the switch I suggested for the next 3 or 4 years at a minimum. :)

Well in this case the suggestion is to use my AC88 as switch combined with a AC86. That will for sure consume alot more power than AC86+switch, or my current AC88+switch.

I guess that something like Dlink DGS-1005G switch could be powered from one if the USB ports...?

I guess that something like Dlink DGS-1005G switch could be powered from one if the USB ports...?

Even if that is possible, I wouldn't put that kind of load on the router, indefinitely. :)

For some reason someone seems to have read my mind (or this thread) so I got a far to good deal on a AX88 - no I for sure do not need a AX88 - however this was one of the "to good to turn down" offers.