What's new

Asus RT-AX88U Aimesh with 2 x RT-AC68U and a Synology DS920+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

teacubed

New Around Here
I've got NBN FTTP connected to a RT-AX88U serving as the primary router in the house.
I've created an AIMESH network that's paired with a RT-AC68U in the Office and a RT-AC68U in the lounge.
The Synology DS920+ is connected using two LAN cables to Port 1 and 2 of the router in the lounge and is using a Bonded connection
I've also tried setting it up with a static IP address, however I'm finding my NAS read/write speed is approx 5MB/s
My PC is connected via Ethernet to the router in the office and the signal of the router are all coming up as Great
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or what I can do to optimise it but it's doing my head in.

Your Aimesh is over wireless? What is the wireless level as soon RT-AC68U in the lounge? What is the speed if you connect another device to this router in the lounge?
Bonded connection in this case will not help by all means. Maybe redundancy for eth cable between Synology and AC68U.

While I was away, I decided to relocate my primary router (AX88u) into the lounge and connected the NAS to it instead. There was a data point in the garage and the lounge, so I connected that cable to the primary router's WAN port. I moved the AC68U into the garage and have that as part of the AIMesh.

When running the disk speed test connecting from my PC wired up to the office router, I noticed that the Write speed went up to 10MB/s and the Read speed is 40MB/s....GOLD!! We're getting somewhere, but still no where near to what I would like it to be.

I guess the other alternative is getting more data points to allow for faster connectivity and ethernet backhaul etc right?

Your AiMesh with 10-years old RT-AC68U routers is a dead end project. Instead of getting more "data points" try reducing the number of "nodes" to the minimum required. More Wi-Fi doesn't make your system better. Use wired backhaul if possible. Don't create AiMess like some folks around just because you have old routers available. They are holding you back. Replace the old routers with something like RT-AX58U. Start with one and test.

I think the RT-AC68Us are fine - I just managed to swap things the way they were again and connected the NAS in the office - the reason I pushed it to the lounge was to overcome the noisy HDDs working all the time. The read/write speeds are now reaching 100MB/s which I'm really happy with. I think if I want to avoid the noise in the office, I can setup more data points, but for now I'll live with it. Thanks all for the prompt advice and feedback.

Data point as in cabled network connection
Nope!

Data point: an identifiable element in a data set.

Nothing to do with networking.

And the AC68U'S are slowing down your WIFI by limiting what the AX router can do.

Easy, @bbunge. Not everyone is familiar with accurate terms and in some hotels I usually stay they have wall plates similar to the one pictured below and often labeled with PHONE and DATA. If I had no clue what it is called I would probably ask for data jack, connection, point, etc. and the receptionist would probably answer there is one in the room.

1683578119817.png

Easy, @bbunge. Not everyone is familiar with accurate terms and in some hotels I usually stay they have wall plates similar to the one pictured below and often labeled with PHONE and DATA. If I had no clue what it is called I would probably ask for data jack, connection, point, etc. and the receptionist would probably answer there is one in the room.

View attachment 49968
:) Phone and Data outlet or jack... Whatever.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!