What's new

Asus RT-AX88U buffering spectrum TV App

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

menzabac

New Around Here
Hi,
I have been having some weird issues watching Spectrum TV APP on my apple TV. I am getting buffering at random times of the day. This issue does not affect other streaming services like Hulu, Disney+ Amazon Prime. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the router if anyone can take a look at the syslog and tell me what could I do to fix my issues.

The current firmware on the router is 3.0.0.4.388_22525 and I don't have a mesh setup.
Thank you for your help

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    144.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hi,
I have been having some weird issues watching Spectrum TV APP on my apple TV. I am getting buffering at random times of the day. This issue does not affect other streaming services like Hulu, Disney+ Amazon Prime. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the router if anyone can take a look at the syslog I would really appreciate if any of you could take a look at the syslog and tell me what could I do to fix my issues.

The current firmware on the router is 3.0.0.4.388_22525 and I don't have a mesh setup.
Thank you for your help

I've seen this with other cable providers, the issue is often just their end, not your network. That is further confirmed by the fact that your other streaming services do not do it.

The cable companies don't really want you to stream, they have to offer it as an option to stay competitive, but they have no incentive to keep it working well.

I hardwired the Apple TV directly to my cable modem and they issue didn't show up and also I tested the App on my iPhone using the data plan and also didn't have any issues.

I hardwired the Apple TV directly to my cable modem and they issue didn't show up and also I tested the App on my iPhone using the data plan and also didn't have any issues.

OK - you said it is random times, how long did you test directly connected?

Maybe their app uses more bandwidth (the cable companies can do less compression since it is local to their network) and other usage is maxing out your connection?

The log you posted is huge, would need times to try and narrow it down. At the very end there is a restart or possible crash.

I tested for 3 hours and I didn't get any issues, as soon as plug the network cable to the apple TV back to the router and started to watch TV the buffering started..! I found some threads where someone was getting the same error on their Syslog and made some changes. I am trying those to see if those work for me.

When the buffering happens I do a speed test and my results are 350/11 which is what I am supposed to get. It seems like when the buffering happens there are small drops on my home network that affect the live streaming of the spectrum app. I assume Hulu, Disney+, prime because they are pre-recorded shows which it doesn't impact them that much.

this is common behaviour of double NAT. you do not have modem but modem-router from ISP. you need to put ISP device in bridge mode if not possible set DMZ.

this is common behaviour of double NAT. you do not have modem but modem-router from ISP. you need to put ISP device in bridge mode if not possible set DMZ.

Do you have examples of others having that issue? Double NAT should not cause something like this.

When the buffering happens I do a speed test and my results are 350/11 which is what I am supposed to get. It seems like when the buffering happens there are small drops on my home network that affect the live streaming of the spectrum app. I assume Hulu, Disney+, prime because they are pre-recorded shows which it doesn't impact them that much.

Yeah on demand can pre buffer a lot where live can't. Maybe plug a PC into that cable and do a continuous ping to the router and also the ISP gateway and see which one has drops or latency spikes to help narrow it down. If you can narrow down where in the log the issue happened that will help too.

Here is what I did and it seems like it is working. On the iOS mobile devices disable Private address. I also disable 120MHz for on the 5Ghz WIFI settings, disable roaming assist and it looks like this has helped.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!