What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U - NOT Wireless - Download & Upload speeds very slow

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kryptto

Regular Contributor
Team,

NOT testing Wireless speeds at all, dont care, I know it varies etc, etc.

Running 384.8_beta1, brand new install. ATT Fiber 1 GB up down, from gateway, 900 down, 1000 up. Cat 6 cables used, all brand new, swapped out cables as well.

From AX88U WIRED, (DMZPlus no firewall at gateway) 50mb down, 100-200mb upload, consistent. NO QoS or Web history at all, dont need it, off.

Tried turning off and on AI Protection, NO differences.

Gameboost OFF

AI Disk OFF

Switch control: Jumbo off, Spanning Tree enabled, Bonded OFF

IPv6 Off

Firewall: On / DOS: Off / IPv6 Firewall: Off / NO URL/Keyword/Services Filters

No Dual Wan; No Port Trigger; No Virtual Server; NAT Passthrough: Defaults DMZ - Off

Anything else I need to do? I have turned things on then off tested both way. Confused why such a degradation in speeds from testing at the Gateway.

The pain of being an "early adopter" - I have the same problems and a friend with AX88U has almost identical problems. The worst is losing 5Ghz band. Or it will slow down to almost ZERO.
I tried all the tricks I knew with all the combinations possible. Reboot works for a few hours then goes bad. All over gain and again. Today I wrote ASUS. I advise you to do the same.
:(

The pain of being an "early adopter" - I have the same problems and a friend with AX88U has almost identical problems. The worst is losing 5Ghz band. Or it will slow down to almost ZERO.
I tried all the tricks I knew with all the combinations possible. Reboot works for a few hours then goes bad. All over gain and again. Today I wrote ASUS. I advise you to do the same.

Thanks Yeah I figured as much.. figured I would see how others are fairing and was not a symptom of anything Merlin could fix. Thanks fellow traveler.

Thanks for posting this, I was about to order one. I'll hold off for now until Asus posts an updated firmware that fixes some of these early issues.

Thanks for posting this, I was about to order one. I'll hold off for now until Asus posts an updated firmware that fixes some of these early issues.
NP... Great router... nothing seems to phase the proc or RAM.... just no performance from WAN to LAN

Update... ASUS only wants to "service" it.... I give up. I am switching to stock firmware see if there is similar issues over Merlin.

You can send them an email to tech support and they usually respond within 2 days. I have tried stock and Merlin's FWs, it is the same GPL 4730. on 11/12 Asus issued just a slightly modified 4736 with fixed IPTV related bugs and added localized modification (?) but the issues we are having remain unanswered. I think the more people write them about it the quicker they will push the FW fix.

One thing that seem to be a potential limitation of the HND platform is I don't think hardware acceleration is supported with PPPoE.

You can send them an email to tech support and they usually respond within 2 days. I have tried stock and Merlin's FWs, it is the same GPL 4730. on 11/12 Asus issued just a slightly modified 4736 with fixed IPTV related bugs and added localized modification (?) but the issues we are having remain unanswered. I think the more people write them about it the quicker they will push the FW fix.
Thanks for that info. I also have, without going into details a second router of the same model. Was going to unwrap it and check as well if it is just a hardware/switch or other issue.

One thing that seem to be a potential limitation of the HND platform is I don't think hardware acceleration is supported with PPPoE.

Eric thank for your great work and insight. I am not a tech guru when it comes to the programming and hardware specs/limitations. I am curious what your insight might be, WAN to LAN is WAY under performing, 50mb down steady 800mb at gateway is way off. I could understand a bit of overhead and loss going from the routers WAN to LAN. What might be the issue at the heart of this?

Sorry for the newb clarification, what does HND platform mean? I know there is a repository in Github for Entware. Just like to know what that abreviation might mean, tnx.

Eric thank for your great work and insight. I am not a tech guru when it comes to the programming and hardware specs/limitations. I am curious what your insight might be, WAN to LAN is WAY under performing, 50mb down steady 800mb at gateway is way off. I could understand a bit of overhead and loss going from the routers WAN to LAN. What might be the issue at the heart of this?

50 Mbps is more than a hardware acceleration issue. Try swapping Ethernet cables, also turn off the modem for 10-15 minutes to reset the connection with your ISP.

Sorry for the newb clarification, what does HND platform mean? I know there is a repository in Github for Entware. Just like to know what that abreviation might mean, tnx.

HND = Home Networking Device. It's the platform developped by Broadcom for routers, based around the BCM490x 64-bit B53 CPU. It replaces the previous platform that was based on the BCM470x A9 CPU.

Submitted trouble ticket to support.

Shouldn't have much to do with being an "early adopter" as the kernel and SoC is so similar to the one used in the GT-AC5300 and RT-AC86U with the addition of two extra cores. I wouldn't expect the 802.11ax wireless to work perfectly right away but nothing else is really all that special with this unit compared to what's been deliver for a year already. There isn't anything particallery new in the firmware in terms of features either as far as I can tell?

Posting an update to this thread. SOOOO, testing the speed at the ATT supplied gateway, Pace Plc 5268AC. Same results nearly perfect 900mbps up and down. This Gateway has a DMZplus mode which "bridges" the ASUS RT-AX88U to the public IP bypassing the built in firewall of ATT's gateway.

WELL after using one RT-AX88U with Merlin's FW, then using a new RT-AX88U updated to the latest ASUS FW. Testing both in DMZPlus I get the same reproducible 50MB down 100-200mb up, on both.

Putting my RT-AC87U back in the same DMZPlus setup, I am getting the same results as the two new routers. I hadnt thought I noticed a slow down, but I was not looking for it, I wanted to replace the AC87U because my 5Ghz radio randomly shuts down and it kills internet and wireless for all other devices.

SO all three have similar results, I can only have one router connected to DMZPlus, then tested the speed to the 87U behind the ATT gateway firewall, kapow! 600/600 mbps.

SO taking the new AX88U and putting it behind the Pace Plc gateway's firewall, turning off the firewall on the router I get pretty consistent 600/600 maybe 500/500. NOT the ideal situation. I did notice in the ATT Plc 5268 a "new" firewall setting called reflective ACL. That wasnt a specific setting to fix things, that settings wasnt ever there before. ATT broke the DMZPlus.... I am just crushed. Call ATT, would be a waste. I can function for now, but ideally I want the router to control the firewall, DDNS, and use the public IP.

Well case closed, 2 good AX88U routers, defective new settings applied by ATT, most likely to force their customers off DMZplus.

Shouldn't have much to do with being an "early adopter" as the kernel and SoC is so similar to the one used in the GT-AC5300 and RT-AC86U with the addition of two extra cores. I wouldn't expect the 802.11ax wireless to work perfectly right away but nothing else is really all that special with this unit compared to what's been deliver for a year already. There isn't anything particallery new in the firmware in terms of features either as far as I can tell?

I found the issue, and greatly appreciate your insight greatly helps! I enjoyed your input in other posts. Crappy ATT issue.