What's new

Asus RT-AX88U WAN to LAN Speed problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JDE100

New Around Here
Have a new RT-AX88U running latest Merlin Release. Replaced an RT-AC3200 running Merlin. Wireless speeds are great. Lan speeds are about half of what I was seeing on the AC3200. I saw 800-900 on the AC3200 and now getting 350-400 on the AX88U. Check that CTF (Flow acceleration) in on. I tried disabling CTF with same result. I also tried spoofing my PC MAC to router to force an IP change on cable modem with same result. Cables are all cat 6. Connect direct to router the same. Wireless AC Speeds about 400, ax speeds 800. COx cable 1 gig line. Any ideas?

Thank you

Are you using the cox cable modem too? Is the AX in dmz mode with the cox modem? I have att fiber and I know last year they did a fw update on the att gateway, it cut my speeds in half. I now use the dumb switch method, do not use the att gate way any more.

I was having a similar issue on my RT-AC88U that took me a while to fix. Check Tools > Network > HW Acceleration and see what's enabled. CTF is cut through forwarding, FA is flow acceleration. If both are enabled it should say "Enabled (CTF + FA)". When I was having the issue, only CTF was enabled (but didn't appear to be working). SSH in and run `nvram show | grep ctf` see if you have entries for `ctf_fa_mode` or `ctf_fa_cap`. When I was having the issue, neither of these were set (there were no entries). I ran the following and it fixed my issue.
Code:
nvram set ctf_fa_mode=2
nvram set ctf_fa_cap=2
nvram commit
reboot

Have a new RT-AX88U running latest Merlin Release. Replaced an RT-AC3200 running Merlin. Wireless speeds are great. Lan speeds are about half of what I was seeing on the AC3200. I saw 800-900 on the AC3200 and now getting 350-400 on the AX88U. Check that CTF (Flow acceleration) in on. I tried disabling CTF with same result. I also tried spoofing my PC MAC to router to force an IP change on cable modem with same result. Cables are all cat 6. Connect direct to router the same. Wireless AC Speeds about 400, ax speeds 800. COx cable 1 gig line. Any ideas?

Thank you
Did you ever fix this? I have the exact same problem but the above suggestion doesn't work for me.
Thanks

I was having a similar issue on my RT-AC88U that took me a while to fix. Check Tools > Network > HW Acceleration and see what's enabled. CTF is cut through forwarding, FA is flow acceleration. If both are enabled it should say "Enabled (CTF + FA)". When I was having the issue, only CTF was enabled (but didn't appear to be working). SSH in and run `nvram show | grep ctf` see if you have entries for `ctf_fa_mode` or `ctf_fa_cap`. When I was having the issue, neither of these were set (there were no entries). I ran the following and it fixed my issue.
Code:
nvram set ctf_fa_mode=2
nvram set ctf_fa_cap=2
nvram commit
reboot
Hi,
Can't find these settings on my GUI.
What am I missing?
Should I only change in SHH?
Cause I'm having the exact same issue with firmware 3.0.0.4.384_9107 on my RT-AX88U

Check the GUI, under Tools, scroll down to Network, and see if you only "CTF enabled" or both "Enabled CTF + FA". If you only see CTF Enabled,

1. SSH to Router (I use Putty), log into it using your username/password.
2. Type this command:
Code:
nvram show | grep ctf
3. Do you see entries for `ctf_fa_mode` or `ctf_fa_cap'?
4. If not, use the rule below:
Code:
nvram set ctf_fa_mode=2
nvram set ctf_fa_cap=2
nvram commit
reboot
5. Once it reboots, go back to Tools and it should now reflect; "Enabled CTF + FA"
6. I did this for my RT-AC88U, it might be different for newer routers so use at your own risk!

Check the GUI, under Tools, scroll down to Network, and see if you only "CTF enabled" or both "Enabled CTF + FA". If you only see CTF Enabled,

2. Type this command:
Code:
nvram show | grep ctf
Code:
nvram set ctf_fa_mode=2
nvram set ctf_fa_cap=2
nvram commit
reboot
5. Once it reboots, go back to Tools and it should now reflect; "Enabled CTF + FA"
6. I did this for my RT-AC88U, it might be different for newer routers so use at your own risk!
There is no Tools menu and not CTF option as well. Maybe it was changed on latest firmwares?
Went over all menus and couldn't find CTF option.

There is no Tools menu and not CTF option as well. Maybe it was changed on latest firmwares?
Went over all menus and couldn't find CTF option.
Are you running stock or Merlin fw?

2. Type this command:
Code:
nvram show | grep ctf
Code:
nvram set ctf_fa_mode=2
nvram set ctf_fa_cap=2
nvram commit
reboot
Did it but all I see under Tools>Network is this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/crv4fa1az0nke9k/2020-05-28_22-56-55.jpg?dl=0
2020-05-28_22-56-55.jpg

And I see now the entries in SSH
ctf_fa_cap=2
ctf_fa_mode=2
So how can I enable hardware acceleration?

Last edited:
Are you running QoS? Normally, I believe running QoS will automatically disable these features. What router do you have?
Indeed I had QoS running. Disabling the QoS enabled the Hardware Acceleration. RT-AX88U.
And now the speed gets up to 820/110Mbps.
So is it a bug that suing QoS will cut my bandwidth to half even if I didn't configure any QoS rule but only enabled the feature?

I know it's a different router, but I use Adaptive QoS on my AC86U and in Tools > Sysinfo > HW accelertion it shows as Runner: Enabled - Flow Cache: Enabled. Does this mean it's not using the CTF + FA? I have seen CTF + FA mentioned in the router before, but this would have been before I used Adaptive QoS.

With a 200/20 service, is QoS really necessary? Daily, there are multiple wireless and wired devices connected that are consuming various services, such as video and audio streaming, online gaming, general browsing, etc.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!