What's new

Asus RT-AX89x SFP+ slower than 1gig ports, notably so for upload. Anyone still having issues with this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CBme

Occasional Visitor
I found some threads motioning SFP+ issues with the Asus RT-AX89x but it was a months ago on a closed thread.

I just picked this up as I'm getting 2gig internet next week and I've had a 10gig aqtion 107 on my asrock 'creator' motherboard that has never gone past 1gig. I put in a Wiitek rj45 adapter (that was reviewed here https://www.servethehome.com/sfp-to-10gbase-t-adapter-module-buyers-guide/ ). As an aside, I heard about these things getting hot but holy crap, I can't even have my finger on it for more than a few seconds.

But I'm not seeing good results at the moment (testing with my 1gig internet). Even with the 1gig intel nic my speedtest.net app results take a bit longer to get to full download speed and they are about 80-100+mbit slower for upload than the standard 1gig switched port on the router. With standard 1gig port, both upload and download get to ~940mbit almost immediately. It is slightly worse when I use my Aquantia/Marvell 10gig nic. No matter what combination I've tried, the SFP+ port is slower to get to max speed on the tests and is much, much slower for upload

Is anyone seeing full 1gig performance or expected multi-gig performance from the 10gig sfp+ port? Is there any value to changing the "SFP+ port TX Clock auto vs on" setting?

EDIT: Ran full combination of tests and found that there are issues only with certain combinations of the SFP+ port and my 10gbit NIC. See attached image.

Attachments

• Router speed test Dec 19, 2021.jpg
    Router speed test Dec 19, 2021.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
In case anyone has this device, is experiencing similar issues, I will note that the issues have gone away with 2 gig internet connection. Upload and download is at full speed using the 10gig rj45 port connected to the 10gbit ONT and the PC connected to the RJ45 SFP+ module.

I found some threads motioning SFP+ issues with the Asus RT-AX89x but it was a months ago on a closed thread.

I just picked this up as I'm getting 2gig internet next week and I've had a 10gig aqtion 107 on my asrock 'creator' motherboard that has never gone past 1gig. I put in a Wiitek rj45 adapter (that was reviewed here https://www.servethehome.com/sfp-to-10gbase-t-adapter-module-buyers-guide/ ). As an aside, I heard about these things getting hot but holy crap, I can't even have my finger on it for more than a few seconds.

But I'm not seeing good results at the moment (testing with my 1gig internet). Even with the 1gig intel nic my speedtest.net app results take a bit longer to get to full download speed and they are about 80-100+mbit slower for upload than the standard 1gig switched port on the router. With standard 1gig port, both upload and download get to ~940mbit almost immediately. It is slightly worse when I use my Aquantia/Marvell 10gig nic. No matter what combination I've tried, the SFP+ port is slower to get to max speed on the tests and is much, much slower for upload

Is anyone seeing full 1gig performance or expected multi-gig performance from the 10gig sfp+ port? Is there any value to changing the "SFP+ port TX Clock auto vs on" setting?

EDIT: Ran full combination of tests and found that there are issues only with certain combinations of the SFP+ port and my 10gbit NIC. See attached image.
I have been using the sfp port to connect to Netgear switch (MS510TX) using the 386_45130 firmware without issue for the last month using (Ubiquiti 1m UniFi Direct Attach Copper Cable). These ports can be fussy with cables, try a different cable before blaming the other hardware. Although I have not been able to max out the connection I have definitely seen around 5 gig throughput.

I have been using the sfp port to connect to Netgear switch (MS510TX) using the 386_45130 firmware without issue for the last month using (Ubiquiti 1m UniFi Direct Attach Copper Cable). These ports can be fussy with cables, try a different cable before blaming the other hardware. Although I have not been able to max out the connection I have definitely seen around 5 gig throughput.
Only option I have for that SFP+ is rj45 and I did try multiple patch cables. But note the issue was the specific combinations of the AQtion 107, SPF+ port and WAN use noted in the spreadsheet where the upload was affected. I did not have transfer speed issues with the ports and 1gig LAN.
And I have not had the issue since the ONT got changed out for the new model with the 10gig rj45 port (and 2gig service).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!