What's new

Beta Asus RT-AX89X_9.0.0.4_388_31185 Beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

majika

Occasional Visitor
AsusWRT Official
Asus RT-AX89U_9.0.0.4_388_31185-gae894c3 (Beta release)

Key changes noticed:-
VPN Fusion
Wireguard
IPv4 IP Firewall Blocklist
Reworked AiMesh UI now with Port information section.

I am very happy to have much greater control over VPN config/setups and Policy based / IP options to route through or by-pass..
Seen slight bump in downstream/upstream throughput but that could be coincidental.
In the process of rebuilding my network adding wlan devices to new dhcp_pool scope/range.
So lots of changes to be made per device.
I Haven't had a close look at the Mesh side of things yet But detected the Mesh and Node and backhaul mode linked. (Setting up/Testing now)

All in all Very happy with some finer VPN controls more than anything AND to have some control over IPv4 IP blocks (as opposed to via ssh/static-routes methods)

Attachments

• VPNScreenshot 2022-12-12 225611.png
    VPNScreenshot 2022-12-12 225611.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 918
  • WG_VPN_Screenshot 2022-12-12 225737.png
    WG_VPN_Screenshot 2022-12-12 225737.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 939
  • IPV4_FW_List_Screenshot 2022-12-12 230007.png
    IPV4_FW_List_Screenshot 2022-12-12 230007.png
    166 KB · Views: 913
  • AIMesh_Screenshot 2022-12-12 234906.png
    AIMesh_Screenshot 2022-12-12 234906.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 963
Great, where can I find the link?

AsusWRT Official
Asus RT-AX89U_9.0.0.4_388_31185-gae894c3 (Beta release)

Key changes noticed:-
VPN Fusion
Wireguard
IPv4 IP Firewall Blocklist
Reworked AiMesh UI now with Port information section.

I am very happy to have much greater control over VPN config/setups and Policy based / IP options to route through or by-pass..
Seen slight bump in downstream/upstream throughput but that could be coincidental.
In the process of rebuilding my network adding wlan devices to new dhcp_pool scope/range.
So lots of changes to be made per device.
I Haven't had a close look at the Mesh side of things yet But detected the Mesh and Node and backhaul mode linked. (Setting up/Testing now)

All in all Very happy with some finer VPN controls more than anything AND to have some control over IPv4 IP blocks (as opposed to via ssh/static-routes methods)
Are you limited to a maximum of two concurrent WireGuard VPN sessions?

Anyway you can test this on your router?

I’d really like to know.

I've been running this for about a week because I was experiencing the intermittent lockups with the previous "stable" firmware.

WireGuard is amazing. I'm using it with my iPhone and it's just like being on my local network. I will test it with additional devices in the coming days.

The one thing I've noticed with this beta is that my RAM usage increased from about 51% to ~70%. I feel like it would have kept climbing if I'd let it, which suggests a memory leak. I've already submitted a ticket to the sole engineer who seems tasked with this model, but the issue is something for other users to watch for.

Update
Connection stable, WiFi Solid.. VPN Working fine.. Very helpful to be able to do custom configs split tunnel IP based for VPN's Syslog /Logging looking clean nothing nasty nothing out of config all is just humming along perfectly..

@Ameenhuus I was provided this FW directly from Asus Support after I made a suggestion submission regarding not being able to have VPN policy-based filtering available, plus a couple of other suggestions from within the Asus UI Send via Feedback/Submission form.

@d5aqoep Correct, this is for my Asus RT-AX89X

@princi
Are you limited to a maximum of two concurrent WireGuard VPN sessions?
Not tested just yet, but new FTTP connection install tomorrow (AM) so will report back here after that.. Just aint had chance to really mess around with wireguard just yet.. I will be sure to let you know..

@amdtip TBH mate, I'm not sure on rules about sharing stuff on here.. Incl. providing links.
If you can point me to where it states rules on SNB Forum specifically about sharing and if its cool for me to provide you with this I'll kind share via PM. (Or just hold tight for me to go find answer in ToS or whatever)
Also, I can then post the Firmware link on here and update the OP to incl the F/W. Just dont want to fall afoul of rules get banned etc..

Attachments

• WG_ADV_Screenshot 2022-12-14 131437.png
    WG_ADV_Screenshot 2022-12-14 131437.png
    156.4 KB · Views: 577
  • WG_GENERAL_Screenshot 2022-12-14 131325.png
    WG_GENERAL_Screenshot 2022-12-14 131325.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Ok @majika no problem, good luck testing!

Likewise @majika - looking forward to your report.

The AX88U is limited to two concurrent WireGuard VPN sessions. It asks you to disconnect one if you try and connect a 3rd.

FYI, the 31185 beta has identified memory leaks. I've had an engineer confirm this. Keep an eye on your unit's RAM usage.

To everyone asking where the beta can be downloaded: I'd recommend filing a report via the Feedback tab on your router if you are experiencing show-stopping issues like lockups. If you are not experiencing issues, just wait. The beta is clearly a work in progress and is not ready for mass distribution.

great news, its interesting to see the new 388 firmwares updates.
This router is great but have slow updates :-(
we keep reading your news, please let us updated

with other betas we received (me in one case), we share the asus webstorage url and any moderator say that its wrong.
y someone can share, more people can test it

thanks

EDIT:
@majika can you edit the first message and put the correct model of router (AX89X not ax89U), its for future searches ;-)
thanks

Last edited:
the problem with the assus support teams is that they are very slow in reply and its a stupid idea if all the people contact with assus support only to try the firmware. I contact with them in past and i published the asus webstorage url with the firmware to the rest of users
This is a forum and we help between us to improve, i think its good idea to share this links to the firmwares.
But ok, if you dont think the same, no problem.
:-(

I will reiterate that _31307 still appears to have a memory leak. It is less severe than the previous version, but I am still seeing RAM usage climb steadily over multiple days. Use at your own risk, keep an eye on your RAM, and if you're going to insist on running beta software for the sake of improving things, report any issues to the engineers using the Feedback tab so they can collect your logs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!