What's new

ASUS RT-N10P review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fraoch

uBvcDEH2m1arMJQ0_480.jpg

This is ASUS' lowest-cost router. There doesn't seem to be that much information about it, and as SmallNetBuilder has not reviewed it, I figured I'd review it in their style.

I managed to pick one up for $15 with free shipping. Searches indicate it has sold for as low as $8.99 after rebate. Is a $15 router any good?

Overview

As an entry-level, basic router, it uses 10/100 ports along with single-radio N150 wireless.

FCC internal photos are dated May 11, 2013 so the device is still fairly new. They show a very sparse board:

ki2b.jpg

The heart of the router is the Broadcom BCM5357 SoC. It's an all-in one device and includes a 300 MHz MIPS 74K processor, a 10/100 Mbit switch and a single 2.4 GHz 802.11n radio. To the right of the SoC is 32 MB of RAM (EtronTech EM63A165TS-6G) and to the bottom left is 8 MB of flash. There is no external radio amplifier, it is incorporated into the BCM5357.

As the underside of the board has very few unremarkable components, the only other item of note is the single rather large external antenna:

mh9b.jpg

This 5 dBi antenna is larger than the antennas on the RT-N66U. It is non-replaceable but fully positionable in all directions.

Cosmetically the RT-N10P follows ASUS' current design - it therefore appears just about identical to their other routers. Compared to the RT-N66U it is a little smaller in both dimensions but is the same height and the angles on the case are the same. The indicator LEDs are inside the translucent case just like the RT-N66U although these are round and green rather than square and blue. There's a full complement of LEDs: power, radio, WPS, WAN and 4 LAN link/activity. This is nice to see as some manufacturers are eliminating most of these helpful diagnostic indicators.

The only unusual component on the back panel is an on-off pushbutton - this is handy for power-cycling the unit rather than pulling the power connector, then reconnecting it. There is also the standard recessed reset button, 4 LAN ports, a WAN port and a WPS button.

The unit runs very cool, there's an almost imperceptibly warm spot at the centre of the case. I would assume this is just above the SoC. My RT-N66U runs much hotter.

Features

I'm familiar with the RT-N66U which cost over 10 times as much at the time. Both routers run ASUSWRT firmware so the look and features are the same. These features include:

• multiple SSIDs with different access levels
  • QoS
  • VPN
  • WDS
  • access restrictions
  • repeater and AP modes
The only missing features are ones dealing with USB (printing, file sharing, cloud storage) and 5 GHz wireless networking as these features are absent in hardware.

These are complete and impressive features for an entry-level router.

Wireless Performance

I measured the signal strength in several locations throughout my small home using inSSIDer. As expected, its signal strength was always lower than my RT-N66U signal strength. However there were no dropouts, it connected reliably everywhere.

I used an Intel Centrino 5300 AGN adapter in an HP EliteBook 8530w for testing. It is a 3-stream dual-band N450 adapter. Speeds were tested using iperf on a Linux server and on the HP. iperf's simultaneous bidirectional testing method was used, which generates traffic flow from both the server and the client simultaneously - this saturates the connection thoroughly. As there are other 2.4 GHz networks in the area, channel bandwidth was limited to 20 MHz automatically - this lead to a sync rate of 72 Mbps on the wireless client software.

Tests were conducted twice and averaged. Speed obviously was not as high as the RT-N66U but was impressive nevertheless.

u56h.jpg

Wireless Bridging Using Alternative Firmware

My main objective for buying this router was not as a router or as an AP, but as a wireless bridge to replace an old Linksys WRT54G which was performing this function. This is not practical with the RT-N10P default firmware - it can do this using WDS, but the bandwidth is halved and the wireless security must be reduced to WEP or deactivated. This is obviously not acceptable.

Alternative firmware can accomplish this quite easily though, as my WRT54G running DD-WRT showed. Some research indicated that Tomato - Shibby is the most advanced, well-supported alternative firmware for this router. This is the lowest-cost router that will support alternative firmware. Loading it onto the router cannot be done through the web interface though, you must put the router into emergency firmware recovery mode and flash it using a PC running ASUS' firmware recovery utility. This worked almost perfectly - the only minor issue was the misidentification of the LAN ports. Selecting Tomato's "invert port order" setting eliminated this issue.

Tomato adds even more features but the one I was most interested in was "Wireless Ethernet Bridge". I enabled this, associated it with my RT-N66U wireless network and conducted some tests.

In my desired location in my entertainment centre, the same iperf tests as above showed 41.75 Mbps average. This seems to be the top wireless speed of the router. In contrast, the same tests on the WRT54G came to 23.68 Mbps.

Conclusion

For $15 I have nearly doubled the speed of my bridge and taken an old 802.11g device off my 802.11n network.

I would highly recommend the RT-N10P for use as a router, AP or wireless bridge (using alternative firmware) if the router is on sale. At regular price, the 2-radio 300 Mbps RT-N12 D1 is only a few dollars more. It is otherwise identical to the RT-N10P but would offer increased bandwidth both as a router and as a wireless bridge if your main AP/router was 300 Mbps or better. But for $10 or $15, the RT-N10P offers excellent performance for the money.

Check NewEgg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Fraoch,

Thank you for this in-depth review of the Asus RT-N10P. I enjoyed reading your post.

I purchased one of these from the 'egg' for $8.99 each after mail-in-rebate on 11/26/2013. Its currently serving as my father's router for his Nexus 7 tablet. I left the stock ASUS firmware on it for now but may put TomatoUSB on it in the future. There's a lot of performance for a small amount of money plus a 2 year warranty. Hard to beat in my opinion!

Great review. When you compared the range vs RT-N66U, does your N66U use SDK5 or SDK6? In other words, what firmware version do you have on your RT-N66U?

Fraoch,

Thank you for this in-depth review of the Asus RT-N10P. I enjoyed reading your post.

I purchased one of these from the 'egg' for $8.99 each after mail-in-rebate on 11/26/2013. Its currently serving as my father's router for his Nexus 7 tablet. I left the stock ASUS firmware on it for now but may put TomatoUSB on it in the future. There's a lot of performance for a small amount of money plus a 2 year warranty. Hard to beat in my opinion!

You're welcome!

Yeah, for $8.99 - that would be the cheapest router I have ever seen, nice buy there! And as I indicated, performance is not only decent, it's downright good...

Another super-cheap router is this one:

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/?categoryid=241&model=TL-WR720N

It's regular price is $15, it's often on sale for $13 and goes down to as low as $10. However it has only 2 LAN ports, no external antenna, won't function as a bridge, and there's no possibility of alternative firmware. So the RT-N10P is definitely the one to get.

Last edited:
Great review. When you compared the range vs RT-N66U, does your N66U use SDK5 or SDK6? In other words, what firmware version do you have on your RT-N66U?

Thanks. I'm using Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.26 on my N66U. I believe that uses the older SDK. When I read that newer versions decreased range and throughput I decided not to upgrade. I haven't had any wireless issues that would be solved by the new wireless driver anyway. I'm using it as an AP so the demands on it aren't great, all I need is good wireless speed and range.

For comparison purposes, I recorded the N66U's RSSI at the same time at the exact same locations as the review. Here's the comparison:

N10P: -20 dB N66U: -12 dB (same room as both routers)
N10P: -38 dB N66U: -28 dB (one floor up, directly overhead)
N10P: -54 dB N66U: -29 dB (next room over)
N10P: -59 dB N66U: -49 dB (one floor up and one room over)
N10P: -60 dB N66U: -44 dB (one floor down, one room over)
N10P: -62 dB N66U: -49 dB (one floor down, two rooms over - opposite corner of house, as far away as possible)

I have read that a difference of 3 dB equals a doubling of power, so a difference of 10 dB is quite significant. The N66U is that good.

Interestingly the N66U's signal did something unusual: it "hunted" around at 3 power levels at each location. The numbers were just about identical every time, i.e. it would hunt from -56 to -52 to -49, then back to -56, etc. It spent about a second at each power level. I'm thinking this is ASUS' "Ai Radar" at work trying to find a client. I wasn't connected to it at the time. The numbers reported for the N66U are the highest (best-case) ones.

Thanks for this review. Will you share what build of Tomato-Shibby you flashed your RT-N10P with? I am hoping to use this router in the exact same way you are: As a wireless bridge, with a RT-N66U as the main router.

I find all the variations quite confusing. The file I used is named:

"tomato-K26-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-115-Max.trx"

I would think it's on this page:

http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26/build5x-115-EN/

but I can't find the exact one. The closest points to:

http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26/build5x-115-EN/tomato-K26-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-115-Max.trx

but I notice there's no "N5x" in the filename.

:confused:

Anyway 116 is the newest now, I would say use this one:

http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26/build5x-116-EN/tomato-K26-1.28.RT-MIPSR2-116-Max.trx

Hi - I am hoping someone can help me install alternate firmware on my Asus RT-N10P router. My end goal is to use this as a wireless bridge to provide a wired connection where currently only a wifi connection is available.

I am having absolutely no luck with using TFTP to install Tomato shibby (I've tried several builds, mini, max, etc); I keep getting the "Transfer timed out." message returned to me.

Some more background:
-my computer is an iMac running 10.9.4 (I mention this because I don't believe there is an OSX Asus Firmware Recovery application)
-I can ping the router via the terminal window
-Here are the TFTP commands I am entering in terminal:
tftp> connect 192.168.1.1
tftp> binary
tftp> timeout 60
tftp> put tomato-K26-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-Mini.trx
....after this last command, the terminal window is silent for 60seconds, and then always comes back with "Transfer timed out."

I would appreciate any help! Thank you

Normally you just upgrade it through the upgrade firmware page.

Normally you just upgrade it through the upgrade firmware page.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried clicking the update firmware after logging into the router, but it will not let me update to an alternate firmware like Tomato. As far as I know, I need something like Tomato to be able to turn the router into a wireless bridge.

Thanks

Nice job on the review. Thanks for sharing.

For your throughput plot are the numbers really "attenuation" or are they RSSI readings?

Hi - I am hoping someone can help me install alternate firmware on my Asus RT-N10P router.

If I recall correctly, it was a 2-step process, all accomplished through the firmware upgrade webpage.

First I upgraded to DD-WRT mini. This is because the default firmware doesn't like the .TRX files Tomato uses, but it does like the .bin files DD-WRT uses.

Once you have DD-WRT installed, you can then install Tomato.

I may be a little off on these details, it's been a while.

Nice job on the review. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! :)

For your throughput plot are the numbers really "attenuation" or are they RSSI readings?

Whoops - these are RSSI readings as reported by inSSIDer. Good catch.