What's new

ASUS RT-N16 and VLAN Tagging

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

soyxan

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have been using for a while the DD-WRT firmware on my ASUS RT-N16 just because the stock firmware does not allow to do VLAN tagging.

With the DD-WRT firmware I have managed to activate the VLAN tagging which I need to connect to my ONT (FTTH connection) but the wifi bandwith is really low so I am questioning if this ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware will have better performance and if it allows to do VLAN tagging.

You can check in the next link my post on how I managed to get the VLAN tagging on dd-wrt.
https://secure.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=755886

Thanks in advance.

You will have to do it manually using robocfg. I don't support manual VLAN configuration at the webui level.

Wifi performance might be better with my FW since I stick to Asus's own drivers, while DD-WRT compiles their own (AFAIK). That means their driver might possibly be more generic and less optimized for Asus's specific devices.

You will have to do it manually using robocfg. I don't support manual VLAN configuration at the webui level.

Thanks for the reply.

I will try to get information about this "robocfg" feature as I do not know what is it :)

BTW, anyone else here have used this feature?

I will let you guys know if I can get it working.

Thanks again.

The new firmware has an option to specify VLAN tags in the web UI so I did not need to do anything special.

The new firmware has an option to specify VLAN tags in the web UI so I did not need to do anything special.

I thought you needed more flexibility than that. Asus's webui only allows to manipulate tagging on WAN and LAN ports 3 and 4, while other firmwares like DD-WRT or Tomato usually allow you to manipulate tagging on all ports.

I thought you needed more flexibility than that. Asus's webui only allows to manipulate tagging on WAN and LAN ports 3 and 4, while other firmwares like DD-WRT or Tomato usually allow you to manipulate tagging on all ports.

Yes, it was that easy.

BTW the wifi performance with your firmware is far better than with DD-WRT. Good job!