What's new

asus RT-N56U...which version do I have

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rp201

New Around Here
there are two version of RT-N56U router but they are packaged and labeled the same. I would like to know if my product is the
earlier v1 with the Ralink MIPS 74Kc 8mb flash
or the v2 with the MediaTek MIPS 1004Kc 16mb flash .
I downgraded the asus factory firmware so I was able to easily start telnet to login from the web UI since it was removed in the latest version.
I'm assuming the ralink soc is the main processor. I'm looking for the broadcom wireless chip.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

cat /proc/nvram yeilded
nvram driver : v0.01
nvram space : 0x8000
major number : 0
MTD
name : nvram
index : 1
flags : 0xc00
size : 0x10000
erasesize : 0x10000

and

admin@RT-N56U:/proc# cat cpuinfo
system type : Ralink SoC
processor : 0
cpu model : MIPS 74K V4.12
BogoMIPS : 249.34
wait instruction : yes
microsecond timers : yes
tlb_entries : 32
extra interrupt vector : yes
hardware watchpoint : yes
ASEs implemented : mips16 dsp
VCED exceptions : not available
VCEI exceptions : not available

since I'm looking for the broadcom chip in version one, how can I determin this I'm thinking the ralink soc is the main processor.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

admin@RT-N56U:/proc# cat iomem
00000000-07ffffff : System RAM
00000000-0026c9ff : Kernel code
0026ca00-002e981f : Kernel data
101c0000-101c0fff : rt3xxx-ehci
101c0000-101c0fff : ehci_hcd
101c1000-101c1fff : rt3xxx-ohci
101c1000-101c1fff : ohci_hcd
20000000-2fffffff : PCI MEM1
20000000-200fffff : PCI Bus #01
20000000-2000ffff : 0000:01:00.0
20000000-2000ffff : 0000:01:00.0
20100000-2010ffff : 0000:00:00.0

There is no Broadcom chip in the v1. There is a ralink chip which is what you show.

There is no Broadcom chip in the v1. There is a ralink chip which is what you show.
yes you are correct. no broadcom. sorry for the confusion. mybad.

I installed openwrt and it was working fine. I have never used padavan so I wanted to give it a look.
I have tried multiple methods of installing it. I am able to connect via telent with admin admin which makes me think padavan is loaded but the web UI console never connects. router works but can only configure from command line. any ideas?

When I installed padavan on my rt-n56u I did it using the GUI but if you flashed newer asus firmware, it is preventing flashing of third party firmware.
Have you tried putting it in recovery mode and using the mini cfe server or the restoration tool?

You can also clear the nvram by holding the wps button in while powering on till the power led flashes rapidly and then letting it boot up.

When I installed padavan on my rt-n56u I did it using the GUI but if you flashed newer asus firmware, it is preventing flashing of third party firmware.
Have you tried putting it in recovery mode and using the mini cfe server or the restoration tool?

You can also clear the nvram by holding the wps button in while powering on till the power led flashes rapidly and then letting it boot up.

Thank you for you time Pierino (I have a cousin named pierino, you are now the second pierino i have come into contact with in my life. cool name)

I loaded the earliest firmware from asus-s web site I could find FW_RT_N56U_3004374979.trx wich is ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.374.979 which is dated 2013/10/11

I then tried installing padavan RT-N56U_3.4.3.9-099_base.trx from the above asus firmware through the web ui and also recovery tool. I end up with a padavan with no web server running for config. was reading somewhere that the 091 version needed an earlier version like 081 or something installed and then upgraded to 091. I'm trying to install 099 cause I can't find any earlier versions anywhere. I had chaos calmer opentwrt but really didn't like its ui setup. I guess I prefer a web ui as opposed to editing files. I also did a 30/30/30 after installing the firmware both times. guess it's just a 30....wait for flashing lights. same result I guess. lol

did your router also have the ralink chipset?

Yes it did. Btw, my name is Joe but I grew up in Italy. Pierino was the name of a kid that was the but of many jokes.
Try to access 192.168.1.1 with a different browser, just to rule that out.

molto bene! I already used different browsers also already. firefox and chrome (in private mode also) . I guess I kinda have given up. went back to asus latest firmware.
plus side is I'm going to use it as wan-pptp which has nice settings of extend ttl timeout and spoof lan ttl value. downside is no ssh. funny thing is when you go to administration-system, for a split second the web gui refreshes and you can see the ssh settings and then it reloads and it's gone. looked around for sshd and found nothing.