What's new

ASUS RT-N66U 3.0.0.5.354 Official Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maylyn

Regular Contributor
ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.5.354

Fix
1. Potential security issue from UPnP overflow.
2. Wireless time control related bugs.
3. Media server related issues when lan subnet change or USB hot plug
4. IPv6 over PPPoE interoperability issues.
5. PPPoE password setting error in Advanced wan setting.??

Modify
1. Upgrade to latest Broadcom driver.
2. Enhance the PPPoE NAT throughput.
3. Enhance both 2.4GHz and 5GHz throughput.
4. Support Huawai E353 3G/4G USB dongle.
5. The router setting URL is changed to ASUS - Networking, use the original URL asusnetwork.net - asusnetwork Resources and Information. can also go to the
setting page.

Add
1. Optimize for XBOX option in Advanced Setting-->Wireless-->General. Enable this function can stabilize streaming speed.
2. Network tools in Advanced setting
3. WOL user interface (wake on LAN)
4. H.323 and SIP passthrough can be disabled in Advanced Settings --> WAN -->NAT Passthrough
5. Click the device name and lookup the manufacturer information
6. Change the DHCP query frequency in Advanced settings-->WAN-->Internet connection to resolve the ISP compatibility issue.
Special thanks to Merlin for his contribution.

AiCloud
1. Add deleted button in upload file page.
2. Fixed share link management bugs.
3. Fixed the file and folder rename bugs.
4. Fixed IE9 /10 file upload compatibility issue.

Known issues
1. The router need to reboot after 3G/4G USB dongle setting. It caused longer setting time.
If you use the 3G/4G router mode, we recommend staying in 3.0.0.4.270.

Download link ~> ASUS - Networks- RT-N66U

Hmm I wonder what's with the 3.0.0.5 for the N66U release, while the AC66U release is still using the 3.0.0.4 firmware tag. Nice to see a official release though, as hopefully Merlin is able to start messing with this build in a couple day's.

Hmm I wonder what's with the 3.0.0.5 for the N66U release, while the AC66U release is still using the 3.0.0.4 firmware tag. Nice to see a official release though, as hopefully Merlin is able to start messing with this build in a couple day's.

I'm wondering what's the difference as well ;)

I think this ASUS RT-N66U official 3.0.0.5.354 got dual WAN function hence .5

I have reflash mine and the dual WAN tab is there

Strangely i have just received another ASUS RT-N66U latest build just today but talking about their numbering :confused:

Firmware ~ RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_354

Main changes ~> PPPoE NAT throughput increased from 100 to 600

PS~> waiting for Merlin to do his magic :D

Last edited:
I suspect 3.0.0.5.354 might have been released by mistake - from what I've seen myself it's usually a Dual WAN test build indeed.

Waiting for the GPL sources to be released here before I can start digging through it.

I suspect 3.0.0.5.354 might have been released by mistake - from what I've seen myself it's usually a Dual WAN test build indeed.

Waiting for the GPL sources to be released here before I can start digging through it.
Well it would be nice if asus fixes this mistake, and puts the correct official RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_354 build on there. I am sure they are still one of the same, but I mention what I said above. As I do think they made a mistake on the build they put on the site for the N66U.

Merlin what are your thoughts on this build so far?

Can't really tell, I didn't try it. I did try a previous RT-AC66U beta, and it looked pretty good on the wireless front, and some nice additions from Asus as well.

You guess it correctly Merlin ;) ASUS released it by mistake i think :rolleyes: :p

Here is my screen capture of the actual 3.0.0.4.354 firmware WAN without the dual WAN tab

NoDualWAN.png

Awaiting for you to lay your hands on the GPL sources

Last edited:
If that's the case, why have asus not corrected the official download file?
There is a very good chance it is a mistake, and reason for it not being fixed yet. Is because that stuff is controlled by the asus HQ which is in Taiwan, and most likely nothing will be done till monday since it is the weekend.

Installed 5.354

It shows the Broadcom v. 5.110.27.20012 in syslog.

However, after that I could not access my USB HDD (1T ntfs/ext3) and USB Flash (500mb ext3) anymore.
Rebooted a few times, but no succes.

In syslog, following new message: "kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended".

After that flashed Merlin's 270.26b and immediately could access my USB devices

However, the recommendation to run e2fsck is still included in syslog.

Does anyone knows what this message means, and wonder why I could not access my USB devices from my Win 7 laptop.

Installed 5.354

It shows the Broadcom v. 5.110.27.20012 in syslog.

However, after that I could not access my USB HDD (1T ntfs/ext3) and USB Flash (500mb ext3) anymore.
Rebooted a few times, but no succes.

In syslog, following new message: "kernel: EXT3-fs warning: maximal mount count reached, running e2fsck is recommended".

After that flashed Merlin's 270.26b and immediately could access my USB devices

However, the recommendation to run e2fsck is still included in syslog.

Does anyone knows what this message means, and wonder why I could not access my USB devices from my Win 7 laptop.

The message about running e2fsck is just a Linux warning that the filesystem on the USB drive hasn't been checked in a long time (if ever). The warning won't go away until you run fsck, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong.

It is possible to run fsck on the router, but you will need to add some swap space because the router doesn't have enough RAM.

I don't know why you couldn't see the USB drives with the other firmware.

If that's the case, why have asus not corrected the official download file?

There is a very good chance it is a mistake, and reason for it not being fixed yet. Is because that stuff is controlled by the asus HQ which is in Taiwan, and most likely nothing will be done till monday since it is the weekend.

As like what likstone87 have said, all these are managed @ ASUS HQ ~ Taiwan

I have already notified ASUS Singapore which in return to inform ASUS HQ TW about this matter

As for sharing via other alternative links on the actual ASUS 3.0.0.4.354 firmware, i haven't got the green light from ASUS HQ TW to share so whom might want to get the correct version to wait until Monday to get from the official download depositary

As like what likstone87 have said, all these are managed @ ASUS HQ ~ Taiwan

I have already notified ASUS Singapore which in return to inform ASUS HQ TW about this matter

As for sharing via other alternative links on the actual ASUS 3.0.0.4.354 firmware, i haven't got the green light from ASUS HQ TW to share so whom might want to get the correct version to wait until Monday to get from the official download depositary

That makes sense, is it safe to assume the difference between the two is dual wan only?

That makes sense, is it safe to assume the difference between the two is dual wan only?
Most likely a very good chance, they probably still see the dual wan feature as a beta feature, and it is just not ready for a official release yet. But they messed up, and released a beta build with dual wan included.

EDIT: Also this was a simple mistake as the only difference in the build number was .5 instead of the correct .4 build.
RT-N66U_3.0.0.5.354(Build they release on accident)
RT-N66U_3.0.0.4.354(Build they should of released, and most likely correct at beginning of next week)

Last edited:
I just upgraded the firmware. It seems that NAT loopback problem appears again in this firmware as I cannot access my web server in my LAN via external IP address. :confused:

Updated: Re-test again by different LAN settings. It's work now.

Last edited:

Mistake, not mistake- Wi-Fi rocks :)
Even if this is a mistake is worth to do your magic Eric :)

Updated to this version this morning and after 8 hours rolled back to .270. New firmware indeed showing better WIFI performance, but also periodically dropping connection, as was in pre-.270 builds.